N. Harvey 1999-2012.
If you wish to use one of these images, feel free to do so, however please
contact the webmaster email@example.com out of courtesy.
Click on the thumbnail to see a larger photo.
Number 1 Nevsky Prospekt:
As good a place as any to start! This
is a commercial bank structure which was rebuilt in Art Nouveau style by the architectural
bureau of Zeidler during 1910 & 1911 as the 'Private Commercial Bank'. Rebuilt because what can be seen today is built around a much older building dating from 1781.
(Photo taken mid afternoon 20 November 2008).
3, There was indeed a bank, Berson & Co., in the building before
the Soviet Putsch of 1917. This is not astonishing because by 1911
every building in this massive city block beginning with 1 Nevsky
Prospekt, housed some sort of competing banking establishment. The
structure itself dates from 1779. It was built by an unknown architect
for Ivan Shpakovsky, state collegiate inspector. After 1825 the
property was purchased by the Shishmarev family and in 1839 rebuilt
by Alexander Brullov, the architect of the Guards Corps Building
in the Palace Square. The present appearance of the building dates
from the late 1830s. Again it changed owners in the 1880s (being
sold to P. P. Lelianov and M. I. Prevot, the latter being the owner
of the then famous Prevot cosmetics and perfume business. Throughout
the 19th century the building contained numerous retail establishments:
first a tavern and liquor store owned by the Weber family,
then a perfume shop or perfumery, the Kurbatov brother's famous
tobacco store, a pharmacy and even the Russian head office of mysterious
American Photographic Society which most likely fled the premises
after the 1917 putsch. A plaque on the front of this building commemorates that
in this house on 13 April 1917 V. I. Lenin delivered a speech on the content and
methods of agitation (propaganda) among soldiers.
Number 5, dates from
1777-1779. In the early 1800s, the liquor trading Weber family bought
the building, leasing sections to a private banking establishment
and a bookstore called Schmitzdorf’ s, which was also the
appointed supplier of books to His Imperial Majesty's Court. Later
in the century an expensive tea retailer, a luxurious flower shop of
Hertzner & Co. and an English biscuit and confectionary establishment
shared the same building. Georgi Bosse, a notable St. Petersburg architect, purchased the
structure in the early 1850s and then remodelled it to his own taste.
Some 30 years later, in 1883, his heirs sold the building to the
St. Petersburg Fire Insurance Company. Alexander Geschwend, another
fashionable architect, again rebuilt the structure for its new corporate
owners. Dates of the latest reconstruction (1884 and 1885) are still
visible on the mansard. The first floor currently hosts a branch
of the Moscow based boutique chain TJ Collections, which main purpose
is to attract the growing number of Russians who smell of money.
Numbers 7 & 9, this imposing Swedish-granite
building has recently been home to Aeroflot & Baltic Airlines, the Central Air Services
Agency and the St. Petersburg branch of the Federal Anti-Monopoly Service (FAS), but on
2nd February 2010 The St. Petersburg Times reported "The joint owners of Russia's largest
pulp-and-paper company, Mikhail and Boris Zingarevich, intend to take part in the conversion
of this building into a hotel". The application was under review at the time of the report,
but because this six-storey building has 'protected status' as a historic monument it it not
a done deal.
Originally this was the Wawelberg Commercial Bank.
Built in 1912, the architect M. M. Peretyatkovich drew from a mixture of Italian Renaissance
styles and incorporated two rows of arches replicated from the Palace of Doges in Venice.
The upper storeys are said to have been inspired by the Pallazzo Medici in Florence.
Number 11, was originally built 1802/04 by
architect L. N. Benoit but it had an extensive Neoclassicism face-lift between 1898
and 1900. The building has a plaque commemorating the outstanding ballerina
Natalia Dudinskaya (1912-2003) and it is claimed that Hector Berlioz
stayed in a 'guest house' here during his first visit to St Petersburg
At the time of this photo there is the Kartago
bistro on the ground floor and MIR Travel Company at 11/2.
Number 13, known as
Chaplin's House and built at the beginning of the nineteenth
century for the brothers Stephen and Gregory Chaplin by Vikenti
Ivanovich Beretti. The Chaplins operated stores or retail shops
on the first or ground floor of 13 Nevsky Prospekt. Those stores
sold furniture and other soft items while the upper floors were
rented out to wealthy tenants. In 1817 Alexander Griboedov, playwright
and later diplomat, lived in this building, then known as Chaplin's
House, where he got entangled in several noisy affairs which led
to a few duels, one protagonist s death, his own injury (a pistol
ball through the hand) and a inevitable police prosecution. Modest
Mussorgsky, the genius classical composer, lived here from 1867
until summer of 1868. Irina Odoevtseva, nee Heinecke, a remarkable
poet and writer, who was born in the Russian Baltic city of Riga
in 1895, spent her youth in St. Petersburg. She fled this city in
1922, lived in France but never gave up her dream about home. She
returned to St. Petersburg in 1987 and lived in this building, in
an apartment facing Bolshaya Morskaya, until her death in 1990.
Number 15, was built
as a palace for Nikolai Chicherin, the head of the St. Petersburg
police (1768-71). In 1858 it was purchased by the wealthy Yeliseyev dynasty
who made several alterations to
the building's façade. This view is only of the right hand
corner of the front façade.
The building was home to the Barrikada cinema from 1923 until the beginning of the 21st century when also a Barrikada
billiards club existed within these historic walls on the
The five star Taleon Imperial Hotel opened here in May 2003. Today the Taleon Club -Taleon Imperial Hotel unites three buildings: 15 Nevsky Prospect, 59 Moika river embankment (1794), and 14 Bolshaya Morskaya street (1814-1817).
Number 17, the Highly
Developed Baroque period Stroganoff Palace built by
Rastrelli in 1753 was home to the famous family until 1917. The
palace now belongs to the Russian Museum, although most of the objects
that once filled it are displayed in the Hermitage Museum. Inside
the courtyard is the glass covered "Telephone-Café" where one can
order Beef Stroganoff from where the poplar dish was first created.
There is also a small chocolate museum in the ground floor passage.
For most of living memory the building has been mainly green or
blue, but since its renovation for the 300 year celebration it has
been painted a kind of orangey pink and white which is more historically
More about this palace on the
Number 19, where the
original house belonged to a man called Shestakov who was the Master
Cook of the Imperial Household, but that building was destroyed
by a major fire in 1751. This later building was commissioned by
the Stroganovs and built in 1756 by architect P. S. Sadovinkov. In 1912 the roof of this building was the site for the first electric sign in the city.
Here it is seen in 2006, shortly after the opening of St. Petersburg's first
branch of Brocard, a German owned perfume and cosmetic chain, which
has over 50 outlets in the Ukraine. . The building is a specimen
of the 1830s European Neoclassicism and is in most respects unremarkable;
it could have easily been built in Wiesbaden or Leipzig.
Number 21, the Fashion
House is wedged between two buildings which look rather
plain in comparison. It is one of the newest developments on Nevsky
and was built 1910-12 by Marian. S. Lyalievich in the the art nouveau
Neo-Renaissance style for Mertens Furriers. Its blue tinged windows
accentuate the Neoclassical metallic framed arches between the slender
stone pillars. Zara and Zara Home, one of the world's largest fashion
houses now has an outlet at this address.
Number 23, This is
an eighteenth century building with a beautiful neoclassical
facade that was incredibly extended by adding three floors (actually two
and a half) in the early 1900s. Amazingly the building did not sink
into the ground. Before the Communist putsch this was the address
of the life insurance arm of the Societe Generale in Northwestern
Russia which occupied the upper floor along with the United Bank. Where
the 'Love Republic' shop now is on the ground floor, was House of Arthur, a
prestigious retailer selling linen, men s underwear and lingerie. The House of
Arthur was a purveyor of the said merchandise to the Imperial Court.
To the right was the prestigious watch and clock shop of Pavel Bour. There is
also a watch shop called Pavel Bour, albeit it has nothing to do with the
old Pavel Bour and is yet another case of historic identity theft. As of time
of writing, in 2006, there was a bar Fort Ross at the same address, the name was probably
supposed to evoke Russian possessions in California, a small hotel called
Fortuna above the retail establishments and the Avalon restaurant.
Number 25, is The
Atrium premier office complex with Bar/Cafe and also
the Finnish Stockmann Department Store which has 1500 sq.
meters of retail space
Built in 1817 by Vasily Staslov for the clergy of Kazan Cathedral,
this building was reopened after major restoration in 1997 to the
highest technical specifications of any office building in Russia.
The Commercial department of the USA General Consulate was based
here, as well as the Consulate of Norway.
built between 1801-11, having 96 Corinthian columns arranged in
four rows that form an extended arc facing Nevsky Prospekt. Andrei
Voronikhin's design was inspired by Bernini's colonnade for St.
Peter's in Rome. From 1811-1858, the Kazan Cathedral was the main
cathedral of the city. (It was superceeded in this rolest bySt Isaacs Csthedrl.. After 1932, when the cathedral was closed,
the building housed the Museum of the History of Religion and Atheism.
In 1991 services were resumed and it is again fully functional as
an Orthodox church.
Number 27, Lesnikovs’
House (Glazunovs’ House and/or Miliutins’ House). Like
numerous other Nevsky buildings this one has several names, all
originating from the surnames of its previous owners.
Adjacent to Kazan Cathedral
and the Canal Griboedova, the Balkany Cafe seen here sells pastries
& souvenirs, photographed in early 2000.
Number 27 also. This
is probably the longest building on the Nevsky Avenue. Construction
of this unique commorancy commenced in 1737 when A. Miliutin , an
ennobled merchant and textile entrepreneur built a two story shopping
arcade that resembled today’s Gostinny Dvor. The complex was
long known as Miliutinskie Riady or Miliutin’s Rows and the
far end began at the side of the Canal Griboedova which was then
called Catherine's Canal. This first part of the building (shown
as the brownie pink structure above), was rebuilt as a separate
neoclassical structure in the 1770s. In the 1790s, Sila Glazunov,
a merchant and the alderman of the nearby church of Our Lady’s
Birth bought the building, so it is also known as Glazunovs’
house. Architect Andrei Voronikhin, the creator of the Cathedral
of Our Lady of Kazan lived in this building from 1806 until 1814.
The building changed several owners and housed numerous establishments
in the 19th century, including an autonomous power plant which was
used to power street illumination. This in turn was converted into
a cinema called Uranus in 1913. Badly damaged by the Nazi
Siege, the building was one of the first to be restored in 1944.
Number 29, is a narrow,
graceful structure. Its scale is subtle and so is unusual for St.
Petersburg as if it were a building from a city of a different size.
The building is so merged into surroundings that most locals never
notice it. With just four windows across, this is the narrowest
Nevsky Prospekt building. It is also one of narrowest buildings
in the entire city. The structure’s eclectic façade
combining different architectural styles dates from the year 1886.
In that year the Paramanov merchant family commissioned engineer
Ivan Jors to redesign the older 18th century structure which the
Paramonovs had recently bought. The project was completed one year
later in 1887. Although the upper floor of 29 Nevsky housed a photographic
atelier at one time, until the Bolshevist putsch the building served
more or less as a rare city mansion, a proper townhouse, one of
a very few pure residential houses along Nevsky Prospekt. Its pre-Paramonov
history is little known, except that underneath its skin is actually
a structure dating from the year 1766.
Number 31, Silver Rows
(Serebriannye Riady). This graceful neoclassical shopping arcade
was designed by Giaccomo Quarenghi for St. Petersburg silversmiths
and jewelers. The design of this structure was a two level arcade.
The first/ground floor consisted of a straight through unobstructed
space, with an enfilade of arches, while the second floor consisted
of separated galleries. History of silver trade on this spot (hence
its name of Silver Rows), is older than the present building. In
the 1730s a pavilion enclosing several retail and wholesale shops
for trade in silver, silverware, jewelry and gems was built on the
location. That structure survived for half a century until being
consumed by fire in 1783. The building you see today is the replacement
constructed in 1784. Almost one hundred years later, in 1878 the
lower arcade was closed up, separated into different stores and
the street facing arches of the arcade were turned into shop fronts,
with doors and shop-windows. Until 1917 several jewelers, silver
and goldsmiths, bureau de change, bank agents, operated in the building.
Number 33, The City
Duma building was the center of local government 1786-1918.
The Duma Tower
seen on the left, was built 1799-1804 as a watchtower for fires.
Ironically the tower was severely damaged by fire itself in 1998,
but has since been restored.
The adjacent building on the left of the tower is the Municipal
Assembly or Duma itself with its numerous offices and the Grand
Assembly Hall. The original 18th century building was redesigned
in the neo Renaissance style by Nikolai Efimov and rebuilt between
1847 and 1852. Some additional reconstruction work was also done
in 1913. Low fourth floor level was added in 1914.
Number 33, the City
Duma building - ( the City Hall) - (Hotel de Ville). The predecessor
of the building with the tower was the St. Petersburg Common Guild
House, built by the city merchants in the 1750s. It was in that
building that the first sessions of the Municipal Duma were held
in the late 1780s. In 1799 architect Domenico Ferrari (Dominique
Ferrari) built the present day Duma structure with a five level
neoclassical tower at the corner of Nevsky. The tower has an usual
granite staircase, both subtle and beautiful, although few people
notice it. In the 1835 another architect with Italian name, Beretti,
built a metal structure on top of the tower for launching air balloons.
This thing did not survive for long and in 1840s was replaced with
the metal contraption you see today, although this is not the real
thing but a later replica. In the 1840s the steel structure atop
of the tower was used as an optical telegraph transmission and reception
tower to send and receive messages between similar towers built
between St. Petersburg and Tsarskoe Selo and then onwards to other
important Russian Empire cities such as Warsaw. A curious technical
landmark of a fast but expensive communication method which was
made obsolete by the invention of electric telegraph.
Number 33a, the classical
Portico designed by Luigi Rusca (c1799) for the Perinnaya
Liniya (Feather Bed Line), which was an exchange for precious metals
built at right angles to the Prospekt. Sadly the portico is all
that remains of the Exchange, as the long row of trading stalls
were demolished in the mid 1960's to facilitate the building of the
Gostinny Dvor Metro station. Workers on the Metro project discovered gold
bullion weighing over 120 kg in the basement of what was the Morozov
Reproduced in 1972, the portico has since been used
as a theatre booking office and as an art gallery.
Number 35, is Gostinny
Dvor basking in bright sunlight (with an abundance of overhead
power cables removed).
Since its conversion
from coaching inns in the early 18th century, this row of trading
stalls have always been at the heart of St. Petersburg's commerce.
Rastrelli designed this building which was completed in 1785. Now
laid out like a department store inside, on two levels.
Number 37, one corner of the original Russian
National Library building, built between 1795-1801.
Architects: E. T. Sokolov & K. Rossi
Its book collection numbers over 30 million items, and since 1811
has received one copy of each book published in Russia. Also many
old manuscripts are housed here, including the Ostromirovo Bible which
dates back to the 11th century. The RNL has at least three other buildings
in the city in use to house their prolific collections.
designed by Carlo Rossi and built between 1828 & 1832. This
elegant Neo-Classical building faces onto Alexandrian or Ostrovsky
Square (between the Russian Library buildings and the Anichkov Palace).
Known as the Pushkin Drama Theater in Soviet times, the portico
of the main facade has six Corinthian columns, topped by a sculptural
group by Stepan Pimenov, of Apollo, patron of the arts, driving
a chariot harnessed to four horses. In the garden in front of the
building is the city's only statue of Catherine the Great.
Street (its Soviet name is Ulitsa Zodchego Rossi) or Theater
Street (Theatralnaia Ulitsa), is a part of the giant architectural ensemble
off Nevsky that consists of two squares - Alexandrian Square and
Chernyshev Square (now Lomonosov Square) with the Alexandrian theater
in the middle of the first square, which itself is flanked by
buildings of the Public Library (the National Library of Russia), the masonry
fence and the pavilions of the Anichkov Palace and Nevsky Prospekt.
It is a grandiose ensemble, which grandeur and architectural audacity
is difficult to comprehend unless you are looking at it from above.
As of its true meaning, it’s of course unknown. This street
is precisely 220 meters long and consists of two identical symmetrically
positioned perfectly proportionate neoclassical buildings, each
220 meters long and 22 meter high. The street itself is 22 meter
wide. Two buildings mirror each other like surreally perfect twins,
every architectural detail and every window has a counterpart on
the other side. When you start paying attention to details you’ll
suddenly realize that this thing is bizarre and astoundingly beautiful.
What adds to the surreal feeling is that the street is almost always
Number 39. One of two Anichkov Palace pavilions marking the
SE edge of Alexandrian Square. Built in 1817/18 by Carlo Rossi,
they are Nevsky's smallest buildings. Externally they are embellished
with Corinthian columns which are inter spaced with attractive statues
which were created by the sculptor Stepan Pimenov. These are figures
of medieval Russian knights and martial bas-relief's which are monuments
to the victories over Napoleon and other State enemies. Internally
these pavilions are basically formal halls, lined with Ionic columns
of unconventional semi-elliptical form. In Imperial times they were
used for receptions, parties and public art exhibitions. Currently
the one shown in this view is a Versace Fashion House and whilst
far removed from its original purpose, Vas ace make a far suitable
tenant than would a tacky fast food outlet selling burgers.
Number 39: the northern
wing of the Anichkov Palace c1750.
(More info on the Palaces
Number 39, Anichkov
Palace, the Imperial Cabinet building: photographed from across the Fontanka
river and looking towards the Anichkov Bridge on the right. Originally known as Quarenghi's Stalls because they were built as trading rows, this
addition to the palace was made during the reign of Alexander I
This structure was conceived in a rigorous Neo-classical style
and many people feel that it doesn't complement Rastrelli's original
work on the main building of the palace. However that is a purist's opinion which detracts from the general ambience of the street. The ground floor has subsequently been partially occupied by shops.
Number 41, the Belosselsky-Belozersky Palace from
the 'Late Classicism period', as seen from the north-east corner on Anichkov Bridge.
(More info on the Palaces
Number 43, This eclectic art nouveau building was constructed in
the year 1900 by the architectural firm of Alexander Kaschenko as
investment property for the family of Grand Duke Sergei Alexandrovich.
Since the completion of its construction the first floor of the
building was occupied by a seafood shop, this establishment survived
throughout the Soviet times, and is still a Soviet-style food shop
as of January, 2003. Remains of its original pre-1917 decor, such
as marble counters and lighting fixtures can still be seen in the
public retail area.
Number 45, originally
starting life as a three story mansion owned by the merchant Nikolai
Paskov-Sharapov at the beginning of the eighteenth century, this
solid building now pulls in revenue from its many executive apartments
on the upper floors. For several years in the 1990's the first floor
housed a Carroll's fast food outlet, but this has been a less than
salubrious 'McDonalds' since 2000. A Colonel Rostovtsev bought the
building in the 1810s. In 1858 the building was rented out to St.
Mary’s Female School for Coming Maidens, which in 1862 was
transformed into the city’s first gymnasium and a first class
day high school for girls. In 1875 architect Alexander Gun reconstructed
the property. It was enlarged with two additional floors being built
atop the old three story structure, and the old classical façade
took on eclectic French renaissance appearance, marked by light
sculptural accents and small elegant balconies. In the late 1890s
it was purchased by the Philippovs, owners of an extensive chain
of St. Petersburg and Moscow bakeries and pastry shops. In Soviet
times it was known as the Café Automat building.
Number 47, Palkina Dom and the former Titan
cinema building was originally built in 1874 by architect A. K. Kreiser.
On September 8, 1874, the famous restaurant "Palkin" had its grand
opening here, having transferred from another address. A little
later, in 1904, the famous architect A. S. Khrenov worked on an
extension to the restaurant and in 1907 began the reconstruction
of the building's concert hall, later to be called the New Concert
Hall. In 1925, the building accommodated "Titan" movie theatre.
By 1995 it was the turn of the new casino club Premier to open its
doors at the Nevsky 47 address. After a long break, restaurant
"Palkin" once more welcomed visitors at its original location starting
from 2002. The New Concert Hall opened by the end of 2003.
Number 49, Dating from 1765 this is now upper
Nevsky's newest 5 star hotel, the 166 room Radisson SAS Royal. Which opened in 2002. The complex has 5
conference rooms, 17 luxury suites, the Barbazan Restaurant, the
Cannelle Café, 2 private dining rooms, sauna and a health club. The building first
became a hotel in 1879, and during the late Soviet period, Café
Saigon was situated here. The café was a meeting place for dissidents,
those not wishing to conform, and rock musicians.
Original architect: P. Y. Suzor
Number 51, This utilitarian-looking,
classically-proportioned but devoid of embellishment building, was
designed in 1834 by Pavel Votsky, for the Guards subaltern Kozhevnikov.
The structure was completed in early 1835 and has not been altered
since. The traveler and writer Ivan Goncharov lived from 1855 to
1856 in an inner courtyard facing apartment where he wrote both
Frigate Pallada (Pallas) and his immortal novel Oblomov (Oblomoff).
At the turn of the century
the building housed the Moulin Rouge cinema, Peter Efimov's bank, and
a large footwear store owned by the Skorohod Company.
Number 53, Initially
a three story building, this was house was constructed in the late
1790s. By the 1880s the building became the property of A. Tchadaev,
a merchant and alderman of the Kazansky Cathedral. He commissioned
Michael Andreev to reconstruct the building with most of the work
completed by late 1882. The semi-basement floor of Nevsky façade
was rebuilt as a meat and cheese store known not just for its cheeses
but for Art Nouveau decorations and stained glass windows. The upper
floors had a bookstore, A. O. Drankov’s photography salon,
comic theatre “Pathé” and Maiak (the Beacon)
cinema that was reconstructed in 1913 by architect A. Romasyko also
in the Art Nouveau style. Presently the space where the pre-Soviet
meat and cheese emporium used to be located is now occupied by Las
Torres Spanish restaurant and a slot machine parlor. To the
left of the first floor is the Fashion House ElenaTsvetkova, which
caters for high-flying business women.
In the past 100 yrs only two pre-Soviet
buildings (no's 14 & 68) had disappeared completely off Nevsky’s face prior to this photo. Number 55 was not blown to smithereens by Nazi bombs or razed by rampaging Bolsheviks,
instead this building fell victim to post-Soviet corruption and avarice.
55 Nevsky (Tianichev’s Building or House), also known
as the St. Petersburg Chess Assembly building was destroyed in 2005
to give way for a hotel extension and/or an expensive apartment
block. Considering that central St. Petersburg including Nevsky
is a UNESCO protected landmark, and the whole avenue is a perfectly
preserved pre-WW1 monument, and that no building was lost irrecoverably
even during the Nazi siege, the enormity of this crime becomes apparent
to anyone who values architectural and historic heritage.
Number 55 reincarnated!
Allegedly the new sterile facade is an "exact replica of the original neoclassical structure"
according to Corinthia Hotels. However the original facade only had three floors.
Seen here in early 2010, shortly after unveiling there are few signs of commercialisation
except for a Nevskij Plaza sign over the central doorway.
This 'new' building is part of a 100 million Euro project which has finally
brought the Nevskij Palace Hotel up to a Five Star rating which compares favorably with
hotels in Wester Europe. Number 55 is envisaged to be an elite commercial centre
with two floors of upmarket retail outlets and five floors of premium office space for rent.
Number 57, was built
in 1861 and belonged to the Industrial School of the Tsarevich.
It was then reconstructed in 1892 & again in 1949. Previously the
Hermes and then Bialys, before opening 278 rooms as
Palace Hotel in 1993 after another 4 years of rebuilding.
(The adjoining building have been empty and covered by giant hoardings
for most of the time since because they suffered major structural
damage during that project). Sheraton managed this hotel until recently
but political reasons caused a change of ownership and it is now
managed by the Corinthia Group. The characterless NPH is claimed
to be 5 Star but in the opinion of many it does not compare well
with good Western European 4 Star hotels, however it is adequate
for businessmen and has four good restaurants and a 24 hr ATM.
Number 59, with an almost
lifelike facade. Along with number 55, this building has had its
frontage covered with huge hoardings such as the one photographed
here for more than 15 years: During the re-construction of Nevskij
Palace 1989 - 93, the two neighboring buildings were damaged by
the weight of the hotel. Their foundations and walls cracked and
they've been deserted since that time. Allegedly the problem stems
from the fact that developers were not permitted to do an extensive
investigation of the area below the hotel site before construction
because of security concerns due to KGB communications lines buried
there. The seven floors of the hotel and two levels of underground
parking are too heavy for the site and the Nevskij Palace has sunk
20 to 30 centimeters since its re-construction.
A replica of Number 61,
seen at the beginning of March 2010.
This 'new' building allegedly resembles the original but it is unlikely
to be as the one Pavel Schroeter designed as a four story classical building
in 1822 and it is more likely to follow the designs of architect Karl Reimers,
who updated the facade in 1873. In the early 1900s this location was the address
of the Central Bank of the Mutual Credit Society.
Now this address has been
integrated as an extension of the Nevskij Palace Hotel next door at number 57.
It has added another 105 executive guest-rooms to the hotel, plus a 250 sq-metre Presidential Suite, a conference centre with 14 meeting rooms and a Grand Ballroom. As with the new building at number 55, this also has a Nevskij Plaza sign over the central doorway.
Number 61, The appearance
of this Early Eclecticism structure is virtually as was during the
building date of 1849, when Alexander Poehl reconstructed an earlier
structure for merchant I. Loginov. The building changed two more
owners after 1899 and probably now should legally belong to descendants
of the Soloviev (Solovieff) family who also owned the adjacent (number
59) building. In 1910 both buildings were connected by a walk-through
corridor on the third floor level.
Number 63, Originally
a two level baroque mansion, and part of a larger estate this property
was bought by the widow of State Councilor Baronet Willie, who is
better remembered as the founder of St. Michael’s Clinical
Hospital, part of the War Medicine Academy. (in 19th century the
Academy of Military Surgery) located on the Vyborg side of St. Petersburg.
1872 Willies sold the property to Alexandrovsky who then hired Pavel
Suzor, who was already very active in this part of the city construction,
to rebuild the structure in eclectic style which some say is reminiscent
of 17 century Parisian architecture. Writer Nikolai Leskov lived
here in a rented apartment from 1877 to 1879. From 1882 until the
Bolshevist coup d’etat this was also the address of Tula Mortgage-Loan
Bank. From 1911 to 1912 the Herald of Aeronautics (or
Aeronautical Herald, Vestnik Vozduhoplaniya), one of Russia’s
first aviation and space exploration magazines had its offices at
63 Nevsky. To the right of the first floor is 'Titanic' which is
one of the main outlets for cheap CD's and DVD's.
Number 65, is an oddball
as far as its design goes. It looks as if it was built around 1880,
yet it was remodeled in it's present late eclecticism form between
1902 and 1904. It essentially a shell built over the floors and foundations
of the previous 1834 building by L. L. Fufaevsky for the then owner Georgi
G. Blok, who was a self made banker of Turkish descent. Blok who had settled in
the city in 1884 went bankrupt in 1906. He resolved his financial problems the
easy way by hanging himself in his office which was in this building.
Number 67: This building
has existed in it's late Art Nouveau style since 1915-1916 when
it was redesigned by a trio of architects, V. I. Chenet, I. N. Volodikhin,
and A. A. Maximov for the new owner, a Captain Tchaikovsky (not
believed to have been related to the composer, but who knows!).
The main attraction
at number 67 is the Khudozhestvenny cinema. Tchaikovsky commissioned
the commercial movie-house and called it the Saturn Cinema and the
name lasted for quite a few years until the Soviets gave it its
present name which means 'artistic'.
Number 69, This is
one of a very few plots on Nevsky Prospekt which did not change
its ownership during the course of the 19th century. From the 18th
century until the Bolshevik coup of 1917 the Yakovlev family remained
the owner of the lot, and their members or descendants must have
the right to claim it (since the Bolshevik revolution was illegal).
In 1822 Egor Sokolov built a three story structure in the interior
of the lot, and in 1851 V. V. Strom designed the Nevsky-facing building.
Among its tenants worth mentioning were the editorial offices of
Denj (Den’, Day), the Menshevik newspaper that remained here
until its forceful closure in 1918. The Mensheviks were a left splinter
group, which although sharing the same social-democratic roots with
Bolsheviks, in the end came to oppose the Communists. The building
is a beautiful example of late 1840s-1850s classicism erected at
the time when the architecture was approaching the eclectic age.
Number 71: At the
time of this photograph in July 2006, the building known as Dom
Zaytsev, the structure housing the entrance to the deeply sited
Mayakovskaya Metro station, was hidden underneath a giant painted
awning. The hidden classical building erected by architect P. A.
Chepyzhnikov in 1848 was undergoing a major reconstruction and renovation.
From c1800 the Zaytsev family owned the lot until selling it to
a V. A. Lapshin in the second half of the century. Lapshin sold
it to an Irina Dobrynina around the turn of the century and she
was the legal owner at the time of the Soviet putsch. In the old
times, before World War I and the Revolution, the building had several
restaurants and beer pubs on the ground and first (second) floors.
There was also a lucrative furnished room business.
Number 71 again: The
building was revamped in 1967 and the right third of its ground
floor (the one away from the street corner) was converted to accommodate
the entrance to the metro station. This photo was taken on a murky
November afternoon in 2008 after the building had been renovated
during the previous year.
Original architect: P. A. Chepyzhnikov 1848
Number 73, Style -
classicism (with a few eclectic elements such as gables over Nevsky
façade). On the corner of Nevsky and Marata Street. Actually this
is Gryaznaya or Dirty Street, which under the Bolsheviks became
Marata Ulitsa, named so in the honour of Jean Paul Marat, a notorious
Jacobin and criminal of the French Revolution fame. Originally,
in the 18 century, these two lots (73 & 75) were occupied by
two two-storey baroque buildings. Christian Tipner, a pharmacist,
acquired the lot in early 1800s and his family held it until second
half of the 19 century. In 1834 architect Schaufelberg erected new
structure at the corner. The appearance of Schaufelberg's original
structure survives in the present buildings despite several reconstructions.
Modest Musorgsky was a frequent visitor to this corner building
from 1879 through the 1880s.
Number 75, Both lots
(73 and 75) became the property of the Wolfson family in the second
half of 19th century. At the turn of the century they sold the buildings
to the merchant D. V. Bychovskiï. Before WWI the ground floor and
the basements of the corner building were used as a wine bar and
wine cellars. In one of the court yard buildings was the Luna (Moon)
cinema, which was yet another of Nevsky's countless movie theatres.
In the late 1960s the underground construction work at the Mayakovskaya
metro station deep below, structurally damaged the building. It
was promptly restored in the early 1970s. The building has uniformly
clean classicist lines. There are several shops in the building
and the large ground floor shop windows were "cut" in 1903.
Number 77, this eclectic
1870s building is the twin of 79 Nevsky. It looks the same and was
built in the same year by the same architect for the same company,
Maltsiev & Co., with the difference being that the lot underneath
79 Nevsky was owned by Mr. Maltsiev while this one, 77 Nevsky, was
the property of his wife. The structure was designed and built by
architect Pavel Susor. The architect incorporated several older
buildings from the late 18th century and early 1800s, which stood
here until 1874. The building once inside number 77's facing structure
was originally owned by merchant Lopatin. Editorial offices of Gradanin
(Citizen) magazine were located here until 1874. Its publisher was
Duke V. M. Mesersky. Its editor was one Fyodor Dostoyevsky. He daily
walked to this address from his apartment on the next street.
Now on the first floor
and for many years, has been the popular German owned Salamander
Number 79, is an eclectic
building of 1874 at the corner of Nevsky and Pushkin Street (Pukinskaya),
is one of several structures designed by Paul (Pavel)Susor in the
area. To a great extent the Pushkin Street itself is Susor's creation
because his eclectic buildings are dominant in the street's and
neighborhood's appearance. Peter Tchaikovsky lived in this building.
He moved to an apartment on the same staircase as the apartment
of his brother. In the 1990s the Nevsky facing side of the building
had a Baskin Robbins ice cream shop on the first floor, but luckily
that has gone and there is a normal restaurant in its place. The
Pushkin Street side of the building has Techneskaya Kniga (or Technical
Book or Technology Book), a bookstore that specializes in engineering,
aerospace, shipbuilding, computers and other technical subjects.
Number 81, a utilitarian
looking post-classicist structure from 1851. Its author is architect
Hemilian whose input is also visible in the building to the left
(83 Nevsky or corner of Nevsky and Ligovsky). Owner of the building
and the lot were: an A. Timofeev in the1840s and 1850s and it was
he who hired Hemilian to build it; his descendants until late 1890s,
Karl Karlovic Kochendorfer, a civil engineer, and then the Ugriumov
family. During their ownership (they are probably still the legal
owners) the building was expanded from the courtyard side in 1910
(these annexes are not visible from Nevsky), and a cinema named
“Aquarium” opened in 1913 until 1918. Less than a year
after Bolshevist putsch, in 1918, journalism classes were held here.
Alexander Blok and Alexander Kuprin read lectures here.
Now besides many retail businesses and offices, the 81 Nevsky House
is the home of the editorial bureau of Chas Pik (Rush Hour), a popular
Number 83, on the
corner of Ligovsky Prospekt viewed from the middle of Ploshchad
Vosstaniya. Years of construction/Built by - architect or architects:
1834 – A. S. Andriev, 1836 – A. P. Hemilian, 1881/83
- A. V. Ivanov, 1904 – G. S. Gavrilov. Mr Andriev built a
long classical house on this corner (which then had a stagnant canal
in the middle of Ligovsky), for a Madame Markevich, wife of a Guards
Colonel. Just two years later, in 1836, A. P. Hemilian enlarged
the Ligovsky Prospect section. That section was again rebuilt by
architect G. S. Gavrilov in 1904. In 1881 the rest of the building
was reconstructed by architect A. V. Ivanov, who also added two
more floors and the line of Ivanov’s two story edition is
clearly visible. From then on, the building’s owners were
the Korovin family until the Bolshevik putsch. The leader of that
putsch, Soviet dictator Vladimir Lenin, lived in one of this building’s
furnished rooms in May, 1891 and again in January, 1894. Much of
this building is now owned by the Hotel Oktyabrskaya which is on
another side of Pl. Vosstaniya.
Number 85 Nevsky Prospekt
is the Moscow Railway station and it fills one side of Ploshchad
Vosstaniya (Uprising Square). Photographed in 2002 during restoration
and seen here with one half in a cream color and the other in
the old green color.