Scroll down to see thumbnail index
© N. Harvey 1999-2012
If you wish to use one of these images, feel free to do so, however please
contact the webmaster firstname.lastname@example.org out of courtesy.
Click on the thumbnail
to see the full photo.
A wintery view of the Winter Palace south
façade as seen when looking across from the beginning of
The palace was the official residence of many Russian rulers, but
is now home to the State
Hermitage Museum which is the world's second largest museum.
It is said that it would take between 8 and 9 years to view each
of the exhibits housed here and in the adjoining Hermitage buildings.
A closer view of the Winter
Palace with Grandfather Frost Ded Moroz (pronounced 'Dead Morose!'), and his granddaughter Snegurochka. As seen on December 25th
This is the fourth such palace on this site and was constructed
between 1754-62 to the designs of Bartolomero Rastrelli.
The Winter Palace and Alexander Column on a late
spring morning. The palace was built in a Highly Developed Baroque
style to the designs of B. F. Rastrelli and completed in 1762. It
is now equally well known as the main building of the Hermitage
The Alexander Column was designed by Auguste de Monterrand to celebrate
victory over Napoleon. The one-piece, 600 ton column has no supporting
devices and is held on its pedestal only by its own weight.
Number 2 Nevsky Prospekt.
The first building on the northern 'sunny' side of the street (c1765), and
built by Yuri Felten originally belonged to the Free Economic Society
(Volnoe Ekonominichesko Obshestvo), which was a non-governmental
economic research institution founded and funded by Catherine II.
In 1844 it was taken over for use by the General Staff of the Imperial
Army and rebuilt by I. Chernik to merge with their already huge
building facing the Winter Palace. Currently believed to be in use
by an inane military press club.
4, This bland classicist structure dating from the 1770’s
is still vaguely remembered as Generalski knizhny magazin (Generals
Bookstore), and referred to as Generals store or Generals shop.
Oddly, number 11 Nevsky is also known by this name.
It was originally built for the Perkins family of merchants and
the Imperial General Staff purchased the structure in the 1840s
and later two more floors were built above the original three stories.
The General Staff operated its own publishing company, which printed
maps, cartography manuals, text books, army handbooks, books on
tactics, strategy and general military history (General Staff also
possessed the largest military-related library in Europe as well
the world, with manuscripts and books in all major European languages
from Middle Ages until contemporary times. Contemporary times being
late 19th century. The library was located in the General Staff
6, In the 18th century the Perkin family owned five Nevsky Prospekt
buildings in a row. This is one of their houses. By the end of the
19 century the building contained fashionable Bertrand shops which
were located above the first or ground floors. The first floor had
a curious shop called Optika i Mechanika (meaning Optics and Mechanics),
run by the Trading Company of A. Bourchard of St. Petersburg. Bourchard’s
was also a manufacturer of gramophones. Before WWI and the Bolshevick
takeover that followed it, 6 Nevsky was famous as the place to buy
gramophones, phonographs, records, mechanical appliances and high
quality hobby optics. Bourchard gramophones and optical instruments
are sought after by Russian antique collectors and from examples
seen to date they are generally more expensive than other Russian
and contemporary foreign brands.
Numbers 8 & 10,
two of the oldest houses on the Prospekt, dating from the 1760's, as viewed
from ul. Malaya Morskaya (the street where Tchaikovsky died in 1893).
They were built for an English family called Perkins by Andrei Kvasov
in accordance with the strict local guidelines of the time, which
had been set by the Commission on Masonry Construction. No.8 was
sold by John Perkins and altered in 1830. Currently it houses the Lavka Khudozhnicov, a shop where local artists can exhibit
and sell their work.
Number 8, This is Ivan
Perkin's townhouse from the 1770s. Ivan Perkin was a notary public
St. Petersburg. His brother, Peter Perkin was an affluent merchant
and the owner
of several Nevsky Properties. 8 Nevsky has not changed its appearance or its
interior layout in any major way since the 18 century and like the number 10
next to it, this private family house provides a good illustration of how
ordinary Nevsky Prospekt buildings or houses looked in the 1770s and 1780s.
Number 10. 'Where' is this!
10: This is reportedly Nevsky's oldest unaltered building, although the
roofline was changed a century ago. The house dates from the 1750s and
it was a private residence most likely designed by architect Andrei
Kvasov (1720-1770). The house was originally
built for Pyotr Mihailovich Perkin, a merchant whose brother, Ivan
Perkin owned the next house (8 Nevsky Prospket). In 1773 Perkins
sold this residence (10 Nevsky) to Ivan Danilovich, a state collegiate
councilman or advisor. In 1850 Franz San Galli bought the building
and he, and then his heir, remained the owners of the property
until the putsch of 1917. DHL, the international courier service
are the latest organization to associate themselves with this building,
by taking up office space on the first floor. Bank of Tokyo is a new business here.
12: the way it looks now is the work of William van der Gucht ,
a turn of the century art nouveau and neo-classicist architect and
a Russian despite the very Dutch name. Reconstructed for the banking
house of Junker and Co. and dated from 1910-11. What’s inside
and underneath, if anything is left of it, was once a Neo-classical
structure from the late 1700s with an interesting history on its
own. In 1765 the first building was designed by the architect Andrei
Kvasov for it’s then owner, the wife of Colonel A. Tolstoy.
She had the building until 1777 when
she sold it to a Karl Friedrich Heidemann. Since circa 1816 until
1880s it's owner was the Kalergis family. They rented the building
out to General Miloradovich who is remembered as a hero of the Great
Patriotic War of 1812. On December 14, 1825, the day known as the
Decembrist Uprising, while trying to appeal to the rebellious troops
in the Senate Square, Miloradovich was rather cowardly murdered
by Pavel Kachowski who fired his pistol from the crowd. Kachowski
was later strung up together with five other ringleaders.
Number 14: This grey
building was built in the late 1930's (architect Boris Rubanenko),
and was known as school No. 210. It still proudly displays a reminder
from the 900 day siege of Leningrad on a simple blue plaque with
stenciled words saying "Citizens! This side of the street is more
dangerous during artillery bombardment."
The 18th century house that previously stood on this site was demolished
in 1915 to make way for yet another bank, but the project was never
This is the wartime sign mentioned above.
16, The building on the northern corner of Nevsky Prospekt and Bolshaia
Morskaya is a late 19 century reincarnation of a large mansion.
It first belonged to General Illarion Ovtsyn and was originally
built in 1766 by architect Andrei Kvasov. Twenty years later, in
1786 John Pickersgill, a merchant who also had retail shops in 1
Nevsky Prospekt, opened another Anglyiskii magazin (or English shop)
at this address. In 1815 the shop was sold to Constantine Nichols
and William Plinke (both Russian citizens despite their English
names). Their company was called Nichols and Plinke. Alexander Pushkin
patronized the establishment. In 1844 another partner, Robert Cohen,
joined the business. By 1870s Cohen took over the business and the
building. Russian made silverware or silver flatware branded by
Magazin Anglais of Nichols and Plinke, especially pieces made before
1860s, are quite valuable. Their dinner silver spoon, fork and knife,
a complete setting for one person, from 1840 fetches from 8000 to
12000 euros (or dollars) on the market. The brand emblem is N &
Number 18. Originally
built on the corner of the Moyka embankment in 1705 for the Dutch
Admiral Kruis, it was rebuilt in 1741 by Mikhail Zementsov and remodeled
again in 1812-15 by V. P. Stasov for A. Kotomin. Later still it
was purchased by the Swiss bakers Wulf and Beranzhee who opened
a confectioners here. It has since undergone major reconstruction,
with its central portico being removed. The columns seen on the
right are where the Literary (Literaturnaya) Café opened in 1985.
This room has had a long association with writers and both Pushkin
and Dostoevsky were frequent visitors, along with the poet Mikhail
Lermontov. Photo taken early in the year 2000.
Sadly the cafe/restaurant
which has been operating from this address for the last 'x' number of years
consider their business to be elitist and unless you are wearing a Rolex or better,
you will not be made very welcome. However if you are willing to pay over the
odds for a less than mediocre fare, go for it!
Number 20, is the former Dutch Church building. Paul
Jacot designed this Neo-Classical structure which was built between
1831-7. The actual church which was closed in 1926 is preserved
and still sitting in the center of this complex although it is unlikely
to revert to its original function. The caisson cupola of the church
is barely visible against the colorless sky as it is viewed here
over the Politseysky (police) Bridge, above the frozen Moika River.
Nowadays the wings either side of the portico house various businesses,
stores, a Subway food outlet and the city's main chess club, whilst
the 2nd and 3rd floors are residential.
Also located here is Dachniki Soviet Café. Dachniki offers
an authentic Russian dining experience at
reasonable prices in a very Russian setting.
Number 22 is a symmetrical twin of number 24 and it has two good
restaurants on the first floor as well as the Bristol Bar and the
Lavka Smirdina, a popular bakery. Original building believed to
have been built in 1730, but like its twin, it was reconstructed
to the designs of G. R. Zollinkofer around 1830 and was first used
as housing for the Petrikirchen clergymen. Later known as the Smyrdin
Publishing House where Gogol and Pushkin had their works published.
For nearly 80 years these two buildings were three-storeyed but in 1909,
two further floors were added.
The Lutheran Church of
St. Peter sandwiched between the twin buildings
of 22 & 24 Nevsky Prospekt. Built in
a Neo-Romanesque style which is rare in St. Petersburg, it was
constructed between 1833-38 to the designs of Alexander Bryullov
and it served
the local German community prior to the revolution. In Soviet times
persecutions and frequent arrests culminated with the pastor
his son being arrested on Christmas Eve 1937 and shot to death
shortly afterwards. The building was then used as a vegetable
it was converted into a swimming pool complex in the 1950's. After
Perestroika it was handed back to the Lutheran movement and is
holding services again. Behind the church is the oldest school
in the city, the Peterschule, founded in 1710.
Number 24. Russia's
first cafe was opened in this building in 1841 and was known
as Dominics (after the name of its owner Dominique Riz-a-Port),
until it was closed in 1917. After world War II the cafe opened
again, but then selling ice-cream. Arguably the best
Internet Cafe in the city, the 24 hour Quo Vadis was located
here but it has now moved along the street to number 76.
Pedestrianized at a cost of 4 million dollars (the first such street
in the city center), ul. Malaya Konyushennaya (the
Smaller Stables street) has a distinct Swedish influence. The Swedish
consulate is here, along with the Swedish St. Catherine's (again!)
Church and the Swedish flavored Hotel
Korona. Pride of place in the center of the street goes
to the recent Gogol monument erected in 1998. During the summer
months at the Nevsky end of this street there are usually several
souvenir stalls selling Matryoshka dolls.
Gogol (1809-1852) the prominent
witty writer and merciless satirist who wrote Nevsky Prospekt lived nearby before going abroad. This modern monument to him by
sculptor Mikhail Belov and architect Vladimar Vasilkovsky was donated
city in 1997. Initially not accepted by the public as it was considered
'kitsch' (poor taste), it has since become a magnet for many Gogol
26: Architect Luigi Rusca lived here in the early 1800s although
nothing remains visible from the 18th century building. The appearance
of the present large eclectic structure dates from 1873, when Norwegian-born
entrepreneur Hermann Hansen commissioned St. Petersburg architect
Vasiliy Kenell to build a new retail and office center which he
completed in 1875. Despite its eclectic coquetry, even hints of
baroque, newest (for 1870s that is) technology was used throughout
construction. Supports are all steel, steel beams separate floors
and walls and partitions are made of concrete. First floors of 26
Nevsky had luxury retail shops, ateliers, tailors salons, restaurant,
and operational branches of Moscow Commercial Bank and Azov Don
Commercial. Roomy operational halls were paneled in marble and the
famous firm of San Galli designed and built a special safe. Upper
floors were let out as hotel style furnished rooms. Between 1882
and 1891 the building housed Russia’s first public telephone
exchange, also designed by Vasiliy Kenell, a trendy architect noted
for the city’s circus building. In 1912 architect Karl Karlovich
Schmidt altered the old (1870s) interior of the public spaces and
redesigned them in Art Nouveau style, which by 1912 was already
on the way out.
Numbers 26-28, Dom Knigi being the building on the
right and the irrepressible Irina Tchij standing in the foreground.
The photo was taken by standing across the street in front of the
colonnade of Kazan Cathedral.
Number 28 is Dom
St. Petersburg's largest book store since having been taken over
two years after the Bolshevik Revolution.
local publishing houses also have their offices here. From it's
construction in 1904 by P. Syuzor until 1917 it was the German
HQ of America's Singer Sewing Machine Co. The glass globe on the
roof, the Singer trademark, covered a small restaurant. A major
transformation of this long standing business is expected soon
as the new landlord seeks to increase revenue. Major internal
renovations commenced late in 2004 and the Dom Knigi business
has scaled down their working area since moving back into the building
after an enforced evacuation whilst the restructuring work
took place. photo by Filip De Bont
Between Numbers 28 and 30, the bridge over the Canal
Griboedova offers a splendid view of the city's most exotic edifice,
the Church on Spilled Blood which was begun in 1882 on the exact spot where Tsar Alexander II
was assassinated. It was decreed that this church's tabernacle should
be built on the very spot where his blood stained the cobblestones,
hence its name and the fact it protrudes slightly into the canal.
It was designed by Alfred Parland (Russian despite the name) and Ignatiy
Malyshev who won the commission after a national competition was held.
Number 30, alongside the Moika is the entrance for the Nevsky Prospekt/Gostinyy
Dvor Metro stations and home of The Philharmonic Chamber Hall (Glinka
Hall) on the second floor. Converted from a former private palace,
by P. Jacquot as a private house in 1830 for wealthy music lover V. Engelhardt,
this was the city's main concert hall in the early 19th century, when the Philharmonic
Society organized concerts with outstanding musicians from around
Western Europe. The pianist Anton Rubinstein made his professional
debut here in 1843. For over 50 years the Discount-Loan Bank, founded by
Baron Alexander Ginsburg, was also in this building. The building received a
direct hit during the Blockade and it was during the course of reconstruction
that the entrance to the Metro was incorporated.
32: Both 32 Nevsky and 34 Nevsky were built 1751-1753 as three storey
flanking "houses” of St. Catherine’s Roman Catholic
Cathedral by Pavel Trezini some ten years before the church was
actually constructed. Tresini’s houses were to be baroque
twins, but instead became a testimony to the eighteenth century's
fast changing architectural fashions. Just 25 years later both buildings’
facades were redesigned by Antonio Rinaldi in a Neo-classical style.
Then to capitalize on the rising value of real estate architect
Alexander Klewsinski was asked to design two further floors for
each building and these were added in 1894 to complement Rinaldi's
style. 32 Nevsky housed a large Roman Catholic library, a Catholic
school , as well as the city’s Catholic orphanage. 32 also
had a special guest house; Architect Vincenzo Brenna, painter Alessandro
Peresinotti and sculptor Paolo Triscorni all lived here in the late
1700s. In the mid 19th century this was also the address of a specialty
chocolate store and of M. I. Bernhard’s musical instruments
shop. Now Lufthansa have their city office here.
Number 32-34, is the
Neo-classical Roman Catholic Catherine of Alexandria Church
(Kostyol Svyatoy Yekateriny), which was built between 1762
& 82 to the designs of master architect J-B. Vallin de la Mothe
and completed by his assistant A. Rinaldi. Stanislaw August Poniatowski,
the last king of Poland was entombed here in 1798. This church was
once the focal point for all the Catholic community before the Communists
closed it for 57 years. However it now holds masses again in Russian,
English and Polish. Also it is the location for an open air all-weather
art market where oil paintings, prints, portraits, and caricatures
drawn on the spot are available.
34, was known for its jewelry shops, - E. Kortmans and E. Burchards
, M. Belawski’s Photographic Studio and W. K. Freundlich’s
Gardening supplies. It was also the Petersburg branch address of Commercial
Bank in Warsaw. In the Soviet era 34 Nevsky had one of city’s
largest music record stores. It occupied the entire first floor
and was renowned for its particularly good collection of classical
music. The record store is gone, replaced by several clothing shops.
The largest among them is Delta Sport, a sports clothing and accessories
retailer. The rest of the building is now occupied by yet another
business center. The right side of the courtyard (behind 34 Nevsky
and to the right of the church) has a reeking mobile toilet with
old woman collecting the “15 Ruble fare.” According
to rumors it will soon be replaced by something more permanent.
Number 36, Arguably
the best hotel in Russia! There has been a hotel on this site
since 1830, but this one first opened its doors
in 1875 and in the time of the Tsars, it was known as the Hotel
de l'Europe. Because of the rising popularity of the hotel and
demand for rooms, a 5th floor was added in 1908. Completely refurbished
between 1989 & 1991,
it was reopened with its present name of the Grand
Hotel Europe. It has over 300 rooms and suites, many
of which have provided plush accommodation for foreign monarchs
and several international dignitaries. The shaded part of the building
is actually the front entrance and has the address of 1/7 Mikhailovskaya
38, (taken mid 1960s): Originally built by architect Michael
in the early 1730s as the city mansion for Nikolai, the court chamberlain.
Early in the 1800s the building became the property of A. S,
She commissioned a visual change from dated baroque to then popular
classicism. Later the building was sold to Countess Natalia Stroganova,
who had the mansion converted to apartments. In 1834-1839 the
underwent substantial change; visually it was merged with another
structure on Mikhailovskaya Street, esthetically making one composition
from Nevsky to Mikhailovskaya Square (St. Michael’s Square)
and incorporating the newly constructed Assembly of Nobility building.
The ensemble was the work of Carlo Rossi, although the on-ground
architectural supervision and the technical aspects of the projects
were handled by Pavel Jacot. Nikolai Gogol lived in this building in 1839. He stayed at the
apartment of P. A. Pletnev, who was the dean of St. Petersburg University
and publisher of Sovremennik (or The Contemporary) literary magazine.
38, (Photo taken
2006): Duchess E. S. Meshcherskaya owned this building during the
1850s and 1860s and in 1869 sold it to the Control and Loan Bank.
From 1881 until nationalization of 1917-1918 this building was the
St. Petersburg headquarters of the Volga-Kama Commercial Bank. From
the same year, architect Prang redesigned the first floor for banking
needs and made an additional structure in the inner courtyard. In
1898 Leontii Benois redesigned the structure again, enriched the
façade (as he did on or rather to Gostiny Dvor) by adding
Beaux-Arts embellishments, changed some interiors, and most importantly
covered interior court yard with a glass roof. Now the atrium of
the 38 Nevsky became the bank’s main operational room. Similarly
to Gostiny Dvor and 36 Nevsky, this building façade was renovated
in 1948 under direction of architect I. G. Kapzug. Beaux Arts decorations
and stucco were stripped off to reveal an older neoclassical façade.
The building you see today is as Carlo Rossi intended it to look
in the 1830s.
40, together with number 42 were contructed between 1791 and 1798
by architect Igor Sokolov as parish buildings for the Armenian Church
they overlook. This has for many years been the place for German
speakers to congregate, and for those wishing to sample German cuisine
in the aptly named Nevsky 40 bar & restaurant.
The building also houses the Municipal Committee for Culture. A
century ago it had been a high class bakery owned by A. Abrikosov,
purveyor to the Romanov's.
Photo taken with Olympus OM2 f1.4 during a snowfall on a bitterly
cold January day 2000.
40, during summer 2006
Number 40-42, St. Catherine's Armenian Church (Armyanskaya tserkov).
In 1770 Empress Catherine II gave her permission for this church to
be built on land previously owned by herself. The architect was M. Velton
who also designed the building at number 42.
The church was closed in 1930 and used as a workshop and warehouse
for many years. In a very dilapidated condition it was returned to
the Armenian parish in 1990, since when it has been lovingly restored.
(The alternate image shows a winter view taken from the other side
of Nevsky Prospekt).
42, built between 1771 & 1775 became the church’s possession in 1804. Poet Theodore
(Fedor) Tiutchev, lived here from 1854 until 1874. Count Mikhail
Speranski was a resident of this building from 1823 until 1835 and
here he compiled the Full Collection of the Laws of the Russian
Empire and the Law Code of the Russian Empire. His daughter, writer
and novelist Elizabeth Frolova-Bagreeva held a literary salon here.
Pushkin, Karamzin, Viazemsky, Zhukovsky and Mickiewicz were frequent
guests at her salon. At the turn of the century and until eruption
of the World War I a branch of the Russo-French bank occupied the
ground floor of the building.
44, Inkas Bank - The Little Passage - Sever (famous for
pastries and cakes)
This beautiful 1894 Art Nouveau building with a gray granite Neoclassical
edifice was completed in its present form in 1910 for the Siberian
Commercial Bank by the architects Marian S. Lyalevich and B. I.
Girshovich. Although Sibirskii (Siberia) Bank was the main occupant
and the owner at the time, 44 Nevsky also held offices of 'Rossia' , the
nation’s largest insurer, two cafes and numerous shops. Either side
of the attic window there are ornate male figurines carved out of the same granite
as the facing slabs.
The building now boasts a modern shopping mall with the name
46, the first recorded building at this address was constructed
in 1745 and belonged to an Alexander Sablukov, the court coffee
brewer (Kaffeeschenker). Architect Francesco Rastrelli lived here
from 1750 through 1760s, whilst he was constructing the Winter Palace
and the Smolny Monastery. In the late 18th century an Armenian merchant
Khudobashev, purchased the lot. In 1823 architect Michael Lieven
built a four story structure here. On May 6 1896 Cinematographe
Lumiere was opened here in the confines of a remodeled retail store.
The city’s first screening of a public commercial movie was
here, which was the coronation of Tsar Nicholas II, shot by cameraman
Camille Serf and issued by the Lumiere brothers of Lyon. This was
within a year of the Lumiere's public launch of "cinematographe"
The present appearance of the building dates from 1901 when it was
reconstructed for use by the Moscow Merchant bank by architect Leonty
Benois, and engineer Nikolai Smirnov in Art Nouveau style.
Number 48, site of the stylish Passazh arcade, which was the first department store in St. Petersburg to break away from
State financing and originally opened in 1848.
It was built by R. Zhelyazevich who modeled it after the Golitsin Gallery in Moscow.
In 1899 1900 S. Kozlov raised the building up to four storeys and changed the front
In May 2006, the City administration held an auction with a view to sell the
building of the Passazh department store, having a total area of about 13,000 sq. m.
This building, although encumbered with a long-term lease, was acquired by the Moscow-based
company Divieto Limited for $ 50.5 million.
50, Torgovy Dom, was originally a three story house for a merchant
called Kokushkin, built in 1744 and redesigned in the late 1770s
in classical style. From the late 1700s until 1870s this building
also had a pharmacy (actually still there) and offices of a notary.
In 1876 architect Alexander Shchedrin built another (fourth) floor
and remodeled the building’s façade in eclectic style,
for its new proprietress, Baroness Kusova. The new fourth floor
acquired miniature eclectic porticos and the building itself got
an array of new balconies decorated with cast iron fences. In 1903
Kusoff (Kousov) family sold the building to Sergei Ramensky.
In the 1960s the ground floor of the building had to be altered
because of the construction of what to Canadians and Americans is
either subterranean pedestrian passage or crossing or an underground
walkway and what Britons call a subway.
Number 52, Dom Borozdin has existed in its current form since 1880 when it was
re-styled by architects B. B. Geydenreyh and the brothers Schaub. It currently
houses the Zulu Café, an art shop and the E. S. Demmeni State Puppet
Theater. It has been the home to Russia's first Marionette Theater
since the mid 1930's, but the house has other facets of cultural
and historical significance: It was completed as early as 1832 and
before the end of that century it housed the great piano collection
of K. L. Schroeder. At the beginning of the 20th century, this building
housed a Chamber Music concert hall and the renowned Dmitri Shostakovich
later made his first public appearance here.
54, where RusRegion Bank and Adidas have the prime position on the
first floor, across the street from the Russian National Library.
On the extreme left of the first floor is
the USSR café, above an Opticians.
Karl Bulla, probably the most famous of all Russian photographers,
had a studio here before the Bolshevik Revolution.
The building started life as a baroque mansion, owned by the architect
Trezini, who sold it to Count Ivan Shuvalov around 1750. The Shuvalov
family sold it on to the industrialist Demidov in 1825 and shortly after it
was reconstructed in the classical style seen today.
56 (Yeliseevsky gastronom), [Елисеевский магазин], is directly across the street from Catherine II's monument in
Ploschad Ostrovskovo. This opulent Style Moderne trade house
was constructed 1902-06 by Gavril Baranovsky for the Yeliseyev (Eliseieff) brothers who were the grandsons of the former serf who
founded their dynasty in 1813. A high class delicatessen on the
first floor still trades as Yeliseyevs (although perfume could soon
to become the main fare), whilst the second floor houses the Comedy
Theater named after N. P. Akimov. Baronovsky was unable to build
again after the revolution and he died of starvation in Spb in 1920
aged 60. The complex consists of three buildings although the corner
one is the structure that is referred to as Eliseevs’ store.
The arch frames a giant stained glass window that opens several
floors to the street.
56 decor: The Art Nouveau stained glass contrasts with granite surface
of the building which is decorated with allegorical sculptures of
Commerce, Industry, Science and Arts.
Number 56: The hall on the lower floor of the “shop window”,
walk in and turn to the door to your left, to find one of the best
preserved Art Nouveau interiors in the city. The store or this section
is worth inspecting because of its impressive stained glass window
and sculptured decor, not for the products it is selling. Their
grocery items, fruit, cheeses, cold meats, sweets and beverages
are outlandishly overpriced even by Western standards. The personnel
are still Soviet in mentality - they are user-unfriendly and the
atmosphere is decidedly stuffy. Pre Revolutionary Eliseev’s
did business differently. By 1914 Eliseev Company had a turnover
of around 400 million golden rubles (around 20 billion US dollars
in today’s inflation adjusted valuation). In St. Petersburg
the company had five food and wine emporia whilst in Moscow the
Eliseev store was as famous as in St. Petersbourg. The company also
had numerous wine-aging and bottling facilities in France and resold
its produce throughout the continent.
Number 56: The above was written about the Yeliseyevsky delicatessen
in 2006. Sadly the business ceased trading in January 2007. This somber image shows the gloomy interior of this previosly
vibrant emprium when it was viewed in November 2008 and the dust
covered room appears to have been abandoned for quite some time.
At the time of writing, there have been no announcements in the
local press as to what the future holds for this historical site.
In 2005 a Moscow based perfume chain was planning to rent this site
for an initial payment of $10 milllion and thus make yet another
change to the cultural map of the city. However city-government
stepped in to veto this unwelcome maneuver and we now await news
on the future of the site. Early 2011 workmen move into the former deli
and commenced ripping out all the fittings. The store reopened after reconstuction on 8th March 2012
Number 58 is presently
a banking institute, this building was the St. Petersburg branch
of the International Commercial Bank, fourth largest financial institution
of pre-Soviet Russia. The structure has a solid but otherwise unremarkable
classical façade. It was reconstructed as style Eclecticism with
classical Neo-Grec elements in 1911 by architect Kashchenko. Before
being a bank this lot was occupied by a hotel building, the Bellevue.
Before that the building on this spot was owned by several local
merchant families. The old building, dating from 1770s, which once
was the Bellevue hotel, was demolished in 1896 and the present structure
built on the same spot by architects Brzozowski and Kerbedz.
Number 60: Denisovs had
the first structure here in the early 1780s. In the 1790s
Denisovs sold the property to Count Sergei Rumiantsev, statesman,
diplomat and scientist, son of field marshal Peter Rumiantsev. In
the 1830s the building passed to Duchess Barbara, the daughter of
Sergei Rumiantsev and the field marshal’s granddaughter. In
the early 1850s she sold it to Countess Anna Tolstoya. In 1858 the
building was purchased by Ivan Glazunov, then passed to his son
Vasily (Basil). Presently in addition to the Avrora cinema the building
houses an erotic nightclub called Golden Dolls and the Avrora Café.
Theater at number 60: Whilst movies had been shown in St. Petersburg
before the end of the nineteenth century, this was the site of the
city's first purpose-built movie theater. Initially it was called
the 'Piccadilly' and the first film publicly shown here in 1914
was about the 'Endlessness of a Woman's Soul'. The Soviet composer
Dmitry Shostakovich worked here in the mid 1920's, providing accompaniment
for the silent movies of the time. In honor of the cruiser Avrora,
the theater was renamed Avrora in 1932 by the Soviets. The cinema
entrance is in the courtyard which is directly behind the archway
in the center of the building.
This heavily imposing structure was originally built in 1896 by
the architect Boris Girszowicz for the St. Petersburg offices of a
Southern Russian financial institution, the Commercial Bank of Azov,
which went bust five years later. It then became the Severnaya (Nothern) Bank
until the Revolution. The building is an odd mixture of eclecticism with unashamedly
baroque elements and typically Art Nouveau asymmetry of its design.
The pompous majestic facade of this building is faced with grey Radom Sandstone
and is decorated with stone ornaments and reliefs. The asymmetrically placed
pediment is crowned with a the Roman God Mercury - the patron of Trade.
For 18 months it was the temporary home of Dom Knigi whilst
building number 28 was being renovated. The ground floor was empty
and unused by the end of 2008.
64, hosting the Farfor Khrustal Steklo glassware store and a L'Escale
outlet. Originally a three story classical structure built for a
local merchant. The building borders Karavannaia ulitsa or Caravan
Street, the name originates from an Elephant Yard and Persian caravan
serai nearby. In 1790s the building was acquired by the Menshikovs.
This family owned the property until the unlawful Bolshevik nationalization
and still probably legally own it. In 1881 Alexander Menshikov (the
family is no relation of Petrine era Menshikov) commissioned architect
Prussakov to reconstruct the 18 century design and the end result
is still here to see in June 2006. The "Nevsky 64" Beauty Salon now
based here on the 2nd floor, has the wherewithal to make people look like
their pets and vice versa.
66, Little is known about early 18th century owners of the lot,
but from 1785 to 1788 it was in the possession of Gavryila Derzhavin,
poet and statesman. In 1785 merchant Petr Sharov acquired the property
and in 1799 rebuilt whatever stood on it into a three story structure
in mature classical style. There was a pharmacy in this building
at the corner of Nevsky and Fontanka that was mentioned in Nikolai
Leskov’s Levsha. The pharmacy, one of St. Petersburg’s
genius loci, operated on the same spot from 1799 until 2004, the
year when this historic establishment was evicted in favor of a
hideous place selling synthetic sushi.
In 1877 the building was enlarged: two more stories were built over
the existing structure under the direction of architect Alexander
Ivanov. Among the famous residents of this building were writers
Alexander Kuprin and Andrei Bely.
Tchaikovsky was one of many composers who frequently visited here,
when it was known as a music publisher's house.
68-74, Domenico's night club is in Dom 70 (Russian & Euro cuisine
Number 68, The relatively
modern looking was the Central District Tax Office (op. Belosselsky-Belozersky
Palace) between 1993 and 2009. The original "House of Letters" built here at the intersection
of Nevsky with Fontanka Embankment, was destroyed by a Nazi air bomb in 1941 during
the siege of World War II, but subsequently rebuilt in this form c.1948. Developer AvtoKomBalt
and present owner of the building is planning to destroy the building in order to construct a hotel
with an underground parking lot on the site. Hopefully recent history has taught local government
about the consequences for adjacent buildings if this was to be done, but many fear that if
a suitable donation is made to the St. Petersburg administration, this will become the sixth
historic building on Nevsky to be pulled down since Governor Valentina Matviyenko took office in 2003!
Number 68, Arguably the most attractive building from the
Stalinist era in St Petersburg is no more! Seen here behind a false front in this image of mid-May 2011, all that is
left of the elegant landmark is a pile of rubble. Despite a lengthy letter-writing campaign urging President
Dmitry Medvedev to save the Literary House, money had a louder voice and the city really needed another hotel
with a prime central location. It would be inappropriate to suggest corruption at local government level, so we'll not mention it.
The Historic Centre of St. Petersburg is a UNESCO 'World Heritage' site and if UNESCO is not becoming concerned
at City Hall's apparent irresponsible lack of protection for the buildings, they should be!
Number 70, This is a
classical city mansion, a palace, built by architect D. I. Quadri
for General Ivan Onufrievich Sukhozanet, a hero of
Napoleonic wars, who fought at the fields of Borodino, the commander
instrumental in the suppression of Decembrist uprising and the director
of the War Academy. Between 1835 and 1839 S. L. Shustov and D. I.
Visconti redecorated the interiors and created new painted ceilings
in the style of mature classicism. In 1864 the Merchant Society
acquired this property and reconstructed it for its needs. The work
was directed by architect V. V. Strom. His changes were minor but
significant enough to spoil the classical purity of Quadri’s
façade. Later the building became the Headquarters of the
Commercial and Industrial Union, which remained here until 1917.
In the communist era an engineering institute and lab, was located
in the building. The building also served as the Soviet Press House
and later passed on to the Press House’s heir, the local Soviet
journalist’s organization and became known as the Journalists
House. As of 2005 there are a few other establishments in the building
such as a travel agency and a restaurant paradoxically named Paradox.
Number 72, The Crystal
Palace Movie House & Otkrytki Knigi
This is the site of Russia's first film theater which was opened
October 5th 1929. It still shows recent American films, dubbed
Russian through a modern Dolby Stereo sound system. A certain Prince
L. Gagarin was known to be resident here in 1909.
The building saw completion in its present form in 1910 and was
designed by Sima I. Minash in the Northern Modern style
as a tenement for M. B. Voyeykova. The facade is of 'talc-chlorite'
or soap stone and is often used for carving because of its softness.
Look for the carved eagle-owls, either side of the entrance.
74, now a Hi-fi store, Toto clothing store, Krasny Terem Chinese restaurant
and bistro. The land lot and buildings on it date from the 18th
century and it is recorded as belonging to Cornet Officer V. G. Alexiev
from c1840 to mid 1860's. Starting as a fine three story mansion,
it had a restaurant opened here in the 1850's. In 1886 architect
V. M. Nekora redesigned and expanded the property by adding
two more floors. It then housed a bank, the offices of a satirical
magazine and a lithographic print works. In Soviet times it was used for family apartments,
to accommodate the Zastoly restaurant on the ground floor, and the Stolovaya restaurant in the basement from the late 1960's until
76, this large eclectic structure at the corner of Nevsky Prospekt
and 63 Liteiny Prospekt, is in most respects similar to its neighbor
to the left, (74 Nevsky Prospekt), as the buildings share history,
owners, and their esthetics are the same since both were reconstructed
by the same architect, V. M. Necora, although the reconstruction
took place a decade apart. 76 Nevsky was rebuilt in 1877 while 74
Nevsky got the last major facelift in 1886. Overall, 76 Nevsky may
now be a bit newer structure superficially. The date of its construction
and the initials of the first owner are made of wrought irons and
are visible on the building balcony, N. M. (in Cyrillic H. M.) 1810.
From 1877 the legendary Palkin’s Restaurant was located at
this address. It later moved to Palkin’s Building (47/1).
The restaurant was phenomenally popular and among its regulars were
industrialist Franz San Galli and Charles Berd, writers M. E. Saltykov-Shchedrin
and I. I. Panaev, poets Leo Mei and N. F. Shcherbina and many of
the city’s inhabitants who could afford to dine out.
Palkin's Restaurant has been resurrected here recently: another sad case
of historic identity theft in this city. Quo Vadis Internet Cafe (2nd floor) has an entrance from Liteiny pr.
78, or the pink building at the corner of Nevsky and 64 Liteiny
Prospekt is large graceful looking eclectic structure, richly full
of neo baroque elements. The intersection where Nevsky, Liteiny
and Vladimirsky meet is a beautiful setting of 1870s bourgeois St.
Petersburg. Appearances of all buildings at and around this intersection
are from the late 1860s through early 1880s. All of them are eclectic
structures, most richly adorned with elements of lively neo baroque,
the style that was en vogue with Russian bourgeoisie from late 1840s
until emergence of Art Nouveau and the early 20th century Neoclassicism
that followed it. For its bourgeois appeal, its richness, and inoffensiveness
to the common tastes, eclecticism continued to live on in Russian
architecture until First World War and the Bolshevik coup d’etat.
Buildings on this large lot date from 18th century. Merchant A.
M. Tupikov reconstructed the property in 1870 with the help of two
architects:- E. P. Vargin converted a four story classical building
into an eclectic one and architect J. O. Dütel added another
80: In the mid 19th century the building on this plot was purchased
by A. V. Liphard , an industrialist, who basically demolished most
of it and in 1872 hired architect Michael Makarov to redesign whatever
was left. The result was a new building. This was the first major
transformation of 80 Nevsky Prospekt. The next transformation came
some 40 years later when the property was bought by Nikolai Dernov,
who hired another architect, Marian Lalevich to redesign it in art
nouveau style and build a cinema and entertainment center in the
interior space. The Lalewicz-designed movie theater was christened Parisiana and opened its doors to the public in 1913. It
was really an entertainment complex with restaurant and a bar underneath,
and a cinema hall for 800 viewers. Cinema was silent of course in
those early days. Parisiana was an art nouveau masterpiece and a
marvel of early 20 century public entertainment design. In hot in
late summer or autumn the roof of cinema hall opened mechanically
and films were shown under night sky. Also the editorial offices
of "Venski Chic" a fashion magazine that was published
in Russian, French and German were located in 80 Nevsky Prospekt.
82, This lot has three buildings, although only one is visible from
Nevsky. Two of them were built in 1834 by engineer and architect
Major E. A. Brün for himself. The buildings are classical of
a Palladian kind, but only one visible from the inner courtyard
has retained its classical purity. The Nevsky facing building was
somewhat altered in 1852 when architect N. P. Grebënka rebuilt
several interiors and added a lantern-like bay over the central
archway entrance. In 1859 architect E. I. Winterhalter constructed
another building in the interior of the lot. At the time of this
photo in 2002, most of the Nevsky facing building is occupied by
the Medi clinic, a medical establishment that has several branches,
- dentistry, dental surgery, cosmetic surgery, liposuction, laser
eyesight correction, etc. Despite their relative high prices (at
least by Russian standards, although they are by far not the most
expensive outfit of this kind in the city), Medi clinic is popular
and there are long waiting queues for some procedures.
This U shaped ensemble of buidings is unique in that it is the only
structure on upper Nevsky which is not facing the street (but there are
several illogicaaly numbered dwelling houses on Old Nevsky, beyond Vosstaniya). They are accessed via a narrow passageway
between the buildings of Nevsky 82 and Nevsky 86. These buildings were
designed and constructed in 1862 by architect A. N. Kohlman for bourgeois
businessman Second Lieutenant D. E. Benardaki, who enhanced his fortune by
renting out luxury apartments to the city's intelligentsia. One notable
tenant was composer M. A. Balakirev. Among those who met in his apartment
and trod the narrow passage way regularly were the originator of the
“nationalist movement” in Russian music, composer Cesar Cui. Other
members of the group were Rimsky-Korsakov, Modest Musorgsky, Alexander Borodin.
Tchaikovsky did not belong to the group, but was still a frequent visitor to No. 84
The 'Actors House' & a former home of Princess Tatiana
Vassillievna Yusupova. This imposing classical building was
rebuilt from its original form in the 1830's by architects Gaspare
Fossati and M. A. Ovsyannikov. This is the last true palace along
Nevsky Prospekt, albeit it has not been used as a palace for about 150 years.
The upper parts of the side wings are not interrupted with windows and are
instead embellished with ornate bas-reliefs of military style crests. The
overly priced Magrib cafe and club restaurant can now be found here: having a
Moroccan theme with a choice of European or Oriental cuisine.
Number 88, (c1860) The Stereo Kino (Cinema) and a Telephone Center
are the main businesses here .
As with many other buildings in this part of Nevsky, there are
several managed apartments herein and although the rooms are adequate,
the entrance is through a dark and sinister courtyard. The communal
foyer and stairway give the impression you are entering a goblin's
grotto and the management should consider major improvements to
decor and lighting here if they wish to attract business. However
they do have a reasonable web site http://www.nevsky88.com
90, Original built by an unknown architect in the early 1800s,
the merchant family Meniaev which owned the site since 1850 asked
A. K. Bruni to reconstruct the building and add a fourth floor.
This work was done in 1866 – 1867
The first floor is all Rive Gauche perfumes and cosmetics,
whilst the popular CafeMax Internet is located on the 2nd
and 3rd floors. On the right side, is the entrance to the newly
This image was taken during a dull November afternoon 2008 just
after the building was repainted from a pale blue color.
The pink building set back in the courtyard between Nevsky 90 and 92 has the address of Nevsky 90. In 1898/1899 architect A. P. Schröter razed whatever stood in the middle here and erected a new five storey eclectic neo-baroque building. This middle neo-baroque building has a part in the history of rocket science and missile design. Between 1926 and 1930 Nikolaï Tichomiroff , inventor and rocket engine designer, lived here. He founded the Gazodynamiceskaya Laboratoriiya or the Laboratory of Gaseous Dynamics which was the Soviet Union’s first rocket technology research centre.
Presently this central is occupied by LEK, a major regional construction company that specializes in building ultra-modern multistory apartment and office complexes, yet keeps its offices in a 19th century neo-baroque mansion!
Number 92: As with number 90 on
the left, this was reconstructed from an early 1800s dwelling house by A. K. Bruni. In
1903 it was redesigned again by A. P. A. P. Shiltsov and finshed off in 1904 by A. M. Kochetov.
'Knowledge' (Znanie), a publishing house was established here in 1898 by K.P. Pyatnitsky as a
joint-stock company of writers, including Gorky. During the Revolution of 1905-07 Znanie published
political (mostly Marxist) books, but faded out of existence by 1913.
The British owned Pulford Corporation, which manages the mini-hotels Nevsky
90 & Nevsky 91 now
have modern VIP apartments in this building at reasonable prices, as they also have in the buildings
at numbers 11 and 115 Nevsky Prospekt.
94, originally built in the 18th century, it changed owners on several
occasions before architect E. F. Krüger reconstructed it for
his own use in 1860. The building had became a corner structure
in 1850s when Nadezhdinskaya Street was extended to Nevsky and the
building that had stood between the present day 94 and 96 Nevsky
was demolished. Krüger expanded his income producing property
by adding a floor and restyling the façades in cleaner classical
(Neo-classical) lines. On the Nadezhdinskaya side of the street,
there is a currency exchange shop or bureau d'change in the basement.
On the second floor of the same side of the building is Calypso
Travel which is a decent travel agency, reasonably friendly, catering
mainly to local clients but it wouldn't turn a foreigner away. Calypso's
prices are good and their agents actually take their time and search
for the best airfare for you, something few travel agents do. They
specialize in package tours to popular warmer climate destinations
like Egypt, Cyprus and Goa. On the Nevsky side of the building since
2004, is the Planeta Sushi restaurant,
which is part of Rossinter, a large Moscow based restaurant company.
96: This dwelling house was originally erected in 1790 for the Councilor
of the State College of War a V. A. Pashkov. It was not built as
a corner structure, instead to the left of it was a building owned
by Egorov (Yegorov) merchant family. That building was demolished
when city authorities connected Nadezhdinskaya Ulitsa (Hope Street)
to Nevsky in the early 1850s. That’s when 96 Nevsky became
a corner building. Until architect A. Ch. Poehl added another in
1839, it was a three storey building. The final changes to the building
were made by Mikhail Makarov in 1870. Makarov also built an impressive
long eclectic building in his trademark Renaissance inspired manner
from the corner down along Nadezhdinskaja Ulitsa. Between 1911 and
1912 architect P. V. Rezvyï (Rezvy, Rezvyi) built new structures
in the internal courtyard but they are not visible from Nevsky Prospekt.
Since May 1998 this building houses the dual 'Pepsico' franchise
of KFC and the Pizza Hut. If you’re concerned about
your health or animals’, KFC is not the place for you.
98, is one of the smallest buildings on this half of Nevsky. Like
100 Nevsky Prospekt this building also belonged to the Lopatin merchant
family. In 1868 the Lopatins hired Michael Makarov, who had just
finished number 100 Nevskiy, to remodel this building. Unusually
for M. A. Makarov, better known for his neo-Renaissance and Russian
style pastiches, this a somber classicist work. The sides of the
upper floor are flanked by identical protruding porticos with figures
of caryatides. In 1910 Russia’s first body-building organization,
the Hercules Club opened here.
Currently (2002) home
to an expensive boutique and another that's quite reasonable with
100, This house was built in neo-Renaissance
style by Mikhail Makarov and completed in 1867 for N. Lopatin, but
by the end of the century it was the residence of a famous St. Petersburg
lawyer Anatoly F. Koni (1844-1927). Koni was a prominent defense attorney
who was a master of jury trials (his record of getting criminals acquitted
by juries was remarkable), a statesman, and a respected journalist.
School number 207 is currently located at this address.
100, Pride of this prestigious address is
the Kollizei (Coliseum) cinema. In 1907 architect Leonid Fufaevski constructed
a huge hall within the courtyard of number 100 for the 'panorama circle' show
Golgotha which charged admissions to see the artistic Passions of
Christ. By 1909 Christ's passions stopped making enough profit for
the owners of the edifice and they threw Jesus, the cross, and the
works out. After getting rid of Golgotha stuff they built a skating
rink in its stead. Enclosed roller skating rinks were then popular
in large Russian cities. Besides roller skating rink the former
crucifixion space also accommodated a cabaret and a wing with a
small cinema modestly named Lux. By 1914 the skating rink was out
and the new owners converted it to a 650 seat cinema called Gallant.
In 1930 the cinema was renovated and re-opened as Colisei or the
102: In the early 1800s this property belonged to merchant Vikulov
who sold it to the Zmeyeff family in 1850. Fedor Zmeyeff had the
old structure razed and a new classic eclectic building erected
on the spot. This is the building that stands here today. It was
built in 1877 by Ivan Bulanov.
1908 saw A. S. Khrenov remodeling it with the addition of fifth
floor which was ornately capped in Neo-Baroque style. Its last legitimate
owner was Jakov Zmeyeff who was a civil engineer and an otherwise
fascinating personality who became a speaker of the St. Petersburg
Municipal Assembly from 1898 until its demise at the time of the
putsch. People who destroyed Zmeyev's parliament and his country
were also his tenants. In this building apartments 16 and 38 were
rented to the editorial and business offices of the Bolshevik magazine
Vestnik Zhizni (Herald of Life). Also a certain Vladimir Lenin was a frequent visitor at 102 Nevsky during those times.
104: Originally a city mansion of V. V. Frolova, a merchant woman,
it was remodeled by architect A. Z. Komarov in 1828. Its next owner
was someone called Neslind, another merchant. The third owner, E.
S. Shcherbatova, wife of a major general, in 1877 commissioned architect
I. I. Grigoriev to expand the building. E.S. Shcherbatova’s
heirs sold the building to B. P. Wolfson, a court councilor and
from him the building was passed on to A. I. Grudzdev, whose descendants
are probably the legitimate owners of this structure. Like all properties
it was illegally nationalized by Bolsheviks. This building is best
known to the generations of Leningraders as Vostochnye Sladosti
(Eastern Sweets or Sweets of the East). This is now a pastry and
confectionary shop that bears names of both Sever and Metropol on
its front sign. There is also the former State Interior Theater
on the top floor of the building and The Society of Besieged Leningrad
Residents whose membership is naturally dwindling.
106: The original 18th century building here was reconstructed by
architect A. I. Melnikov for Anasatasia. Duryshkina. Melnikov built
an inner courtyard wing structure and enlarged the old building.
A. E. Shliakov, a merchant, bought the building in the late 1860s.
In 1873 he commissioned V. M. Nekora, then a young architect, to
add two floors and to redesign the facades and the internal (wing)
structures in an eclectic neo-baroque influenced style. In 1913
architect A. G. von Bock built large ground floor windows (vitrines)
for retail occupants of the building and remodeled both ground and
first floors, without apparently giving any regard to the rest of
the building. Von Bock must have done what his clients wanted but
otherwise it is a weird reconstruction, with the first two floors
looking so oddly dissonant from the upper three. It’s like
this structure is made of two unrelated buildings.
sunny side of Nevsky Prospekt from the Anichkov Bridge up to number
108. The street being shown decorated at the time of the 2003 tri-centenary celebrations.
108 being the white building
on the extreme right, which is the home of the Riviera cinema and
'Villina' knitted fashion wear .
108: Seen here in July 2006 with a change of colour. This large residential
rental property was originally owned by the merchant family Gusey
who later sold it to P. O. Ivanov. He in turn hired architect Alexander
Lange to add another floor. The line of addition is visible although
Lange did not change the appearance of the building. In the course
of the 19th century the building changed several owners and even
more tenants. In 1906 Vladimir Lenin, the future Soviet dictator,
was a frequent visitor to this building: one of the building’s
apartments was rented by the Bolsheviks, and used for secret meetings.
In 1913 architect V. S. Karpovich built a two story cinema building
in the inner courtyard. The cinema is still in operation; it is
called Riviera, and has two screens. The space on the second floor
was remodeled in the Stalin era and bears marks of bland Stalinist classicism.
Several alternative private theater companies operated in this building
from 1918 until the Stalinist crackdown of 1929. The first was Theatre
of Sentiments, The Grotesque, and then Fokine’s Theatre of
110, Members of the same extended family that owned 102 Nevsky
building from late 1700s or early 1800s until the Soviet nationalization.
Like many of its neighbors the building is in eclectic style,
its forms are more restrained than the likes of 116 Nevsky. Its
current appearance dates from 1879, when it was reconstructed
I. I. Grigoriev. Karl Bulla the master photographer and photo-journalist
was based here from 1885. In the early 1900s the building had
of Novy Krai
offices of Zerno
(Corn to the English, or Grain to Americans), a magazine, a dental
clinic and retail store of Denker & Co.
112: The same family which owned 96 Nevsky Prospekt, the Yakovlevs,
a merchant clan, owned this beautiful building from its construction
until Soviet nationalization. In all likelihood their descendants
are the true legitimate owners of this building. Originally a three
story neoclassical building it was reconstructed in flamboyant,
rich forms of eclecticism by architect M. A. Makarov in 1866, who
also added another floor. At the turn of century, editorial offices
of “Rossia” newspaper were located here together with
a few retail establishments as tenants. Presently there is a footwear
retailer and an “Ideal Cup” coffee shop and a on the
first floor. Similar establishments can be found at numbers 15 &
130 Nevsky. Disastrously this building suffered structual damage (as expected) during the demolition
shenanigans on the next plot and is now favorite to be the next Nevsky building to be destroyed!
Number 114: almost
hidden behind a massive advertisement which seemed to change weekly after 1990.
The original late eighteenth century architect is unknown, but in 1828 it was
reconstructed by P. S. Paltsev in the neoclassicism style.
Three families, Semianov, Zverkov and Bogdanov, changed ownership of this building
from early the 1800s until the Soviet nationalization of 1918.
At the turn of the century and early 1900s, the building contained offices of
Segodnia (Today) newspaper; of Schelter & Giesecke elevators and lift equipment
company, and the managerial offices of “Samolet” insurance company.
The Ground floor was occupied by a jewelry shop and an optician.
Sadly this historic building is no more, having been demolished late in 2006 after
the lot was purchased by Stockmann, the Finnish department store group.
Number 114: Many would disapprove of this replica building, seen here during May 2011 having been opened to the public six months previously, but there are probably many more who care not about historical heritage and welcome the chance to shop in this 'new' building. Progress in the changing world usually over-rules nostagia, in the same way it did when trams were removed from Nevsky Prospekt 60 years ago.
116 had been hidden for several years behind a giant billboard.
This crestfallen building was concealed from view as it was in need
of major restoration. Built in 1901 it was originally called Hotel
Ermitage, and then Hotel du Nord before being renamed Severnaya
in the 1930's. Around 2001 there had been rumours of it being converted
into a modern hotel and also several plans proposed to turn this
prime location into a commercial centre, but until 2006 nothing
was agreed until the Stockmann Retail Group purchased the lot. The
building was destroyed overnight in 2007 by the Stockmann vandal squad. So much for State protection and these buildings having 'heritage status'!
site: This is the view of the above site late in the morning of
November 19th 2008, with no remains of building 114 or 116. Stockman
are investing at least 120 million Euros in constructing their new
department store and the Nevsky Centre shopping complex. They had
planned to have it all built and opened by the end of 2008, but
Russia's new construction supervision authority accused Stockman
of not submitting building plans or obtaining the necessary permits,
so there have been several long delays to this mammoth project. However,
after the greasing of various administrative cogs, the laying of
the cornerstone ceremony did take place on 17 October 2008. When
this new project is completed, it is likely to cause a significant
shift in the retail market along Nevsky. Apart from the planned
Stockman department store, the new complex (allegedly with 'exact' replica facades
of buildings 114 &116), will have 70 smaller shops on its seven
floors, plus a hotel and a car park for at least 550 cars.
Number 116 mark II was opened
November 11, 2010 almost two years behind schedule and with the slight matter of
being 65m Euros over the forecasted budget. Photographed here six months after opening
it was not attracting much attention from the passers-by, but its prime location means
that it will be a popular location for the New Russians to dispose of their money.
118; Ploshchad Vosstaniya Metro Station, (the wedding cake) built
on the spot where the Church of the Holy Sign was demolished in 1940.
The first of St. Petersburg's
Metro trains ran from here in 1955 when it was linked to 7 other
stations in the SW of the city. It is connected by subway to Mayakovskaya
metro and the Moscow Railway Station and is one of only a few such
stations which has two entrances. It has always been a busy station,
but once the planned Stockmann shopping complex opens across the
road, at the site of the old Severnaya hotel, it will need both
those entrances and maybe more. For many years this busy corner has been
plagued by street-walkers of both genders soliciting their services and the
police are kept busy moving them on.
is a elephantine building which takes up a whole block and one side
of Ploshchad Vosstaniya (formerly Znamenskaya). Built in the late
1840's by the architect A. P. Gemilian on the site of a former elephant
yard for Count Frederick Stenbock-Fermor (the owner of the Passage),
it has served as the hotel for the Moscow Rail station for most
of its life under various names. Currently known as the Oktyabrskaya
Hotel it is affectionately called Dom Frederick after the original
owner. (The front entrance to the 1600 room hotel is actually halfway
down a wing in the street to the left of this view). Before the
Revolution it was known as Grand Hotel du Nord and during the war
it was used as a hospital for the starving and also housed the Estonian
Government in exile. In the 1970's the main facade was reconstructed
in Neo-Renaissance style to complement the Moscow (former Nikolaievsky) Rail Station.