http://www.nevsky-prospekt.com
 
     

Nevsky Prospekt 

St. Petersburg

Nevsky's Photographs

Stary (old) Nevsky or Staro-Nevsky

Officially still Nevsky Prospekt, this section between Ploshchad Vosstaniya and the Lavra is known as Old Nevsky. Some building numbers are now not used. i.e. 133, 138, 167, etc. whilst other numbers have been allocated to buildings off the street. Staro-Nevsky is predominantly a residential street, littered with 'fashion outlets'.

Go to main Nevsky Northside

Photographs © N. Harvey, 1999-2012
If you wish to use one of these images, feel free to do so, however please contact neilsky@nevsky-prospekt.com out of courtesy.

Click on the thumbnail to see the full photo.


MOSCOVSKY VOKZAL  

Number 85 Nevsky Prospekt is the Moscow Railway station and it fills one side of Ploshchad Vosstaniya (Uprising Square). Trains have been running between here and an identical building in Moscow since 1851. Built by Konstantin Ton, the façade is shown in the midday sunlight undergoing restoration and transformation from green to a peachy beige color which allegedly is the original color. (Ton also built Moscow's Great Kremlin Palace and the largest church in Russia, the Cathedral of Christ the Savior on the left bank of the Moscow river)

The first builing on the south side of Staro-Nevsky  

Number 87/2, acting as a plinth for an obtrusive video screen larger than many people's homes.

Dom 87/1 south side of staro-Nevsky  

Number 87A, has the Alfa Bank on the left of the ground floor, a Yarky Mir professional photo store on the right and a 24 hour coffee shop in the basement.
This Classicism building was completed in 1867 to the designs of architect G. M. Bartsch

Without doubt the shortest and lowest building on this part of the street  

Number 89, looking distinctly out of place even in this less affluent half of the street. This exceptionally low building is an annex to the building on the right and currently being used as a warehouse. Maybe it has an interesting history!

The future of this building does not appear healthy during summer 2002, because it is rumored that a 200 room hotel is going to be built on this site.

Without doubt the shortest and lowest building on this part of the street  

Number 89, is no more!
The old building had disappeared when this photo was taken in July 2006.


Without doubt the shortest and lowest building on this part of the street  


Number 89, is now a working address again!
From being the site of lowest building on Nevsky, it is now home to the tallest building on the street.
Seen here in March 2010, is has a Paulaner restaurant and bar trading on the ground floor and the upper floors are to be occupied by the city's second Park Inn Hotel. (The first Park Inn being located just off Moskovsky Prospekt in the south of the city).
This Modern monster is totally out of charactor with the rest of the street and it beggars belief that architects AB Studio-17,
S. V. Gaikovich and M. D. Olderogge were able to build in this protected area without some 'inside help' from the City Council.


No. 91, has the newly opened Nevsky 91 mini-hotel.  

Number 91, built 1846-50 in Eclectic style as a police house by T. F. Krasnopevkov & V. Beretta, it is now hosting the 'Nevsky 91' mini-hotel. Fully operational from May 2003. (Currently awaiting more information from the management, but it appears that it will not appear as promised. The block also houses Transportnaya Knigi (transport books) and Caesar Cosmetics.

Dom 93 on  Old Nevsky  

Number 93, showing several apartments for sale, with the 'Greenwich' watch store and the Blinniy Club 'Teremok' on the first floor.
Architect E. Gernet 1861.

Dom 95 on the corner  

Number 95, is an angular structure known as the house of G. G. Gessel; it was built in 1912 by architect L . M. Kharlamov in Modern style. The Bistro Garcon is currently located here and offers a menu of French cuisine with numerous Bordeaux wines. Open from 9 a.m. to 1 a.m.

Dom 97 on the corner  

Number 97, built in the style of Eclecticsm 1874-75 by M. F. Peterson.

Seen here it has 'Zolotoy Zamok' (Golden Castle) leather goods and the Rossijski Kapital Bank on the first floor.

During 1894 and 1895 Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov (Lenin) was a frequest visitor to this building as Nadezhda "Nadya" Krupskaya and her mother Elizaveta had an apartment here. In 1898 Lenin married Krupskaya whilst they were both exiled in Siberia.

Dom 99-101  

Number 99 - 101: Built in the style of Russian Retrospectivism by the architects Kuskov and Lahtman as recently as 1996, as the Central Office of the Leningrad Oblast Sberbank (Savings Bank) of Russia.

Sberbank was the only bank which operated during Soviet time in Russia. It is still state property and people consider it is reliable. Moreover there are offices of this bank everywhere in Russia. Be preapared for bad service and lines.
Internet: http://www.sberbank.ru/

Dom 103  

Number 103, an Eclecticism structure built around 1880 by I. Bulanov, has the French Bakery Boulangerie Francais on the left of the first floor. The top floor (no elevator) has a 'Rinaldi' mini-Hotel furnished in IKEA-style at mid ranged prices to suit affluent tourists.

Dom 105  

Number 105: Similarly to the building on the right, the first floor of this historic building also has one of the growing number of Rinaldi mini hotels. Baltinvestbank is also based in this building.  It was designed in Eclecticism style by V. A. Flight and completed in 1882.

Dom 107  

Number 107: This building which has a confusing mixture of styles from different eras was originally built around 1910. The last major changes to the structure were in the Stalinist Neoclassic style by architects V. F. Belov and E. M. Lavrovsky in 1952.
On the left there now is a cafe called Venezia which is getting a reputation for good home made ice cream. On the right the is a footwear outlet, simply called 'Best'.

Dom 109  

Number 109: There are two retail outlets on the ground floor of this otherwise uniformed residential block; the Dom Mod boutique and Adlum (foto.ru)
The Neo-classicism building dates from 1878 - architect A. Kirilov

Dom 111  

Number 111: built in the early 1860's and having a drug store on the corner, a boutique 'N5' in the middle of the Nevsky facade and a Dom Laverna DIY store on the right of it. The first floor along the Poltavskaya ul. side street has a large DIY window retailer.

Dom 113  

Number 113 occupies a whole block. Most of the first floor lay empty during 2008.

Dom 115  

Number 115: 'Diana' Gallesi boutique has taken over the retail area on the first floor which for many years was the domain of the Saxoniya Restaurant.
The building was erected in 1860-61 by F. M. Tutyshkin.

Dom 117  

Number 117: according to the 'Master' signs above the business seen on the left of the first floor, this building has roof, windows and doors! On the right is a Swiss watch service center.
The shell for all these windows and doors was built in 1860 by E. E. Anikin.

Numbers 119-121 on Old Nevsky  

Numbers 119-121 on the same lot. It was completed in this Eclecticism style in 1900 by P. Giliyov.
Wild Orchid is the fashion house listed here.

Dom 120  

Number 120, is the first building on the south side of 'old' Nevsky. This façade of the building faces the square opposite the Ploshchad Vosstaniya Metro station. It was built around 1868 by A. Klimov. Numerous commercial enterprises are located here, including the Warsteiner Forum Restaurant (International cuisine & club), and the "Al-shark" bistro.

Dom 122  

Number 122: Several retail businesses here, including Na Staronevskom Antiques, old books, icons, paintings, porcelain. Also furniture, jewellry, bronze, clocks, old artistic postcards. Sadly, this business was found closed in November 2008. A small shoe stores remains open on the ground floor and a small but interesting collection of souvenirs for sale including Matrioshki.
This neat old Eclectic building was completed in 1871 by A. Lange.

House number 123  

Number 123: Where on the ground floor the La Perla Boutique has moved to upper Nevsky and been replaced with a tasteless 'Charme' boutique.

Dom 124  

Number 124: was designed by F. N. Sobolewsky, built in 1890 and for many years now, the end of this building has been known for advertising and selling Monarch shoes.

Nevsky 125  

Number 125: now has a 'girlie bar' on the left of the ground floor and a Robert Clergerie shoes outlet on the right.

Nevsky 126  

Number 126: Photographed here in the gloom of a November afternoon 2008, with a relatively modern modification to the corner of this building and the side which faces onto Suvorovsky Prospekt. The Rudolf II Bar and the Gambrinus Restaurant on the 2nd floor have reputations for attracting many 'New Russians', especially at weekends.

This building looks much different now to when it was erected in 1883 by architect G. I. Karpov. In 1918 the Chat Noir, Cabaret (French for black cat) opened here, however, it only lasted for about 2 months before it became a club for the Red Army.

Nevsky 127  

Number 127: has the upper floors used for office space whilst the ground floor has a cafe.

The building in its current form dates from 1881  - Architect P. Y. Suzor

Dom 128  

Number 128: Two of the businesses here in this unremarkable building on the corner of Suvorovsky Prospekt are Tekhsoyuz (Technical Photography and supplies) and the "Store" bizarrely selling clothing which could be picked up from a bazaar for a few Rubles. It appears that this house would benefit from some cosmetic restoration.

Dom 129  

Number 129, where Serruti a mens fashion outlet now occupies the empty area of the ground floor seen in this photo. (a store called Verol selling furs used to be here for many years). A tobacconist's store is on the right.

The building was erected 1880/81 - Architect V.A. Flight

Dom 130  

Number 130, which is currently home to "Charovnitza" a women's underwear and bathing suits store, an Inkas Bank and an "Ideal Cup" (Idealnaya Chashka) inexpensive coffee shop which is open from 7 in the morning until 11 at night.

This Eclectism building dates from 1874/75 - Architects Von Schaffhausen & K. Ziegler

Dom 131  

Number 131, currently has a bank and a café on the ground floor with apartments above.

The building in Eclectic style dates from 1867 - Architect L. F. Buleri

(there is no number 133)

Dom 132  

Number 132, built in a very ornate Renaissance by architect A. Klimov and dates from the years 1877 to 1881. Seen here in 2006 It looks as if the store on the left is being refitted for yet another fashion outlet, whilst there is a cost café on the right of the first floor.

Dom 134  

Number 134, where on the left is an outlet for Tervolina footwear, a Russian manufacturer based in Moscow. On the right of this Eclectic building is yet another bank. The structure dates from 1898 - architect M. A. Andreev
Alexander Ivanovich von Gogen (1856-1914) a prominent city architect, lived at this address for a few years. Two of his most notable projects were the Memorial Museum of A.V. Suvorov (43 Kirochnaya Ul.) and the Nikolaevskaya Academy of the General Staff at 32 Suvorovsky Prospekt.
"Nevsky Club" is a 22 room mini-hotel located here. The facilities are quite adequate, but one can find the same much cheaper at www.booking.com

A complex of builsing with the number of 135 Nevsky  

Number 135, is a relatively modern building complex, hidden away from the street and behind house number 137.

136 to 138 Nevsky after repainting  

Number 136 on a double sized lot with no number 138, photographed the day after scaffolding was removed in November 2008, following cosmetic enhancement to the facade.

The building in the Eclectism style dates from 1896/98 - architect A. V. Kashchenko

Modern Dom 137  

Number 137, is a huge Modern building covering two lots and is a 21st century construction which appeared during 2003/04.
The architects were A. M. Gerasimov & Partners.
Probably the better of the several clothing outlets here is Bogner.

The apartment building at 139 Stary Nevsky Prospekt.  

Number 139, built by architect E. V. Goldberg in 1879 and where two outstanding contributors to the arts spent their childhood years: local composer Vasily Solovyov-Sedoy [1907-1979] (of Moscow Nights fame) and actor Alexander Borisov. Both of them were friends of Yevgeni Nikolayev, son of General Alexander Nikolayev, a hero of the Russo-Japanese war of 1904-05, who lived on the first floor of this building. After the revolution General Nikolayev became a Red Army commander. During the civil war he was taken prisoner, refused to renounce his convictions, and was publicly hanged by the White Guards.

Dom 140 with corner tower  

Number 140, an otherwise unremarkable turn of the century building has a corner tower which catches the eye. The ornate corner piece and dome did not appear until after WWII. This building was designed in the Eclecticism style by the architect Alexander Sergeievich Khrenov and built during 1901/02.

Dom 142 with the end of the building facing Nevsky  

Number 142, is somewhat of an oddball as it was built at a right angle to Nevsky. The street on the left is Degtyarnaya Ulitsa and the street on the right is Prospekt Bakunina. The street light seen in front of the building is on Nevsky Prospekt.

Built between 1877 and 1880 - architect A. V. Ivanov

Dom 142 again.  

Number 142 again, showing the side facing Prospekt Bakunina. The Academic Gymnasium was the first to be opened in St. Petersburg in this building(1726-1805). One of the largest gymnasiums in the capital was later opened here in 1889 by A. P. Nikiforova.

(GYMNASIA, institutions of intermediate general education. In pre-revolutionary Russia they were mainly established with the purpose of training pupils for university and service in state institutions.) Two mini-hotels have recently opened at this location: the' Filippov' and the 'Style'.

Numbers 141 to 145 in a block constructed in 1936  

Numbers 141 to 145: This block is a rare example of Stalinist Constructivism in Nevsky's architecture. It replaced an 1883 building and was designed by Alexander Lvovich Lishnevsky and completed in 1936.

Numbers 144 to 146 in a single block.  

Numbers 144 and 146 integral on the same triangular lot. 144 nearest the camera, has for many years housed L'Etoile perfumes & cosmetics. This monument to Constructivism replaced two 1883 buildings in 1933 and was designed by V. F. von Haecker.

This section of Staronevsky is one-way towards Pl Vosstaniya and it is the norm to see standing traffic during the middle of the day. The lane going in the opposite direct is for emergency vehicles and nominated buses only. Photo taken just after lunch 27 November 2008.

Number 146  

Number 146; housed Dom Laverna, a household goods store for many years until 2008. On the left, it is just possible to see where number 144 joins the bridge of the center section.

Dom 147  

Number 147, was built 1905-1906 to the designs of architect Pavel Batuyev. It was reconstructed in 2004 to modernize the entrance and provide 16 double rooms for the new mini Hotel Stary Nevsky (The Old Nevsky Hotel). Yet another mini jumping on the hotel bandwagon is the Royal Antares Hotel also located in this building. Five fashion outlets have premises in this building: Simona, Studio S, Skandia, Freelance and Pierre Cavallo. There is also a store called Louis which sells men's and women's leather clothing from Italy.
Count Alexey Nikolaevich Tolstoy, writer, publicist, and public figure lived at this address during 1910-12

Dom 150 standing alone.  

Number 150, has its fair share of modern apartments above the first floor where the Gondola café was a popular venue until late 2006. This café was bought out and replaced with a 'fashion outlet; a fate that befell several other businesses as they struggled to compete with the rising proprty rates. 'Nevsky 150' mini hotel opened in this building in January 2004.

The building was erected during 1880 by architect F. F. Soloviev.  In 1934 it was designated as a cooperative for the families of Leningrad's Soviet Engineers.

Dom 151.  

 

Number 151, is home to Katrin/ BGN and Russki Lion fashions.


Dom 152 newly built.  

Number 152, is the second newest (part-residential) building on Old Nevsky, built towards the end of 2006 by A. M. Gerasimov & Partners and seen here in November 2008.
The Esfera fashion house was opened here during late 2007. Inside there is the 'Canali' boutique, Optics Gallery, Doris Hartwich (mens clothing), and Elsa Zanella (women's clothing).

The previous building on this plot was an apartment house owned by V. A. Ratkov-Rozhnov who was Mayor of St. Petersburg in 1893-98, but that was removed decades ago after it was severely damaged in WWII. The lot was then planted with trees.

Dom 153  

Number 153: Architect of this apartment building in the early 1900s was Lev Petrovich Shyzko who was also official architect to the Alexander Nevsky Lavra, and built the New Vestry there.
The Babochka Gallery seen on the right of the first (ground) floor - is allegedly largest multi-brand fashion store on Nevsky. The gallery represents a large variety of woman's collections from famous fashion labels. The second floor offers men's clothes: varied collections from Brioni, Zilli, Bilancioni, Borsalino, Church's, Tod's, Fay and others named labels. On the left are Caligula and Ermenegildo Zegna, mens fashion boutiques
The adjoining building seen on the left here is number 163 and the building on the right is 151.

Dom 154  

Number 154, photographed whilst number 152 was being built. The main businesses here in 2008 are a branch of the men's fashion house, Cashmere & Silk and Bally, which is an upmarket fashion accessories store. A purse (sumka) could set you back $2000.

This Eclecticism house was erected in 1898 - architect A. V. Ivanov.

Dom 156 awaiting someone supplying some info!  

Number 156, houses a Charles Jordan outlet.
The house design is considered Modern and was erected in 1912 - architect G. G. von Gauley

Dom 158  

Number 158, mainly residential having at least four separate stores on the first floor. This stately mansion on the corner of ul. Aleksandra Nevskogo was built in 1874 in the Eclecticism style by architect I. Bulanov.

Dom 160 awaiting someone supplying some info!  

Number 160, is mainly residential with a porcelain store on the first floor. On the right of this there is the cafe-bar ‘Ketaiski Gorodovoy’ (Chinese Policeman), where Chinese style food can be eaten along with a decent selection of wine. It was erected in 1880, architect G. A. Solovev.

In 1878 the Nevsky Suburban Horse-Railwaу Society was established with headquarters here at 160 Nevsky. In the second half of the 19th - early 20th century horse-cars were the most available passenger public transport means. In August 1863, the first route from Znamenskaya Square along Nevsky Prospekt to the Spit of Vasilievsky Island was launched.

Dom 162  

Number 162: currently houses one of several 'Phototechnica' outlets in the city.
Basically a rental housing unit, it was reconstructed during 1898-1899 by architect P. M. Mulkhanov from a building originally erected in 1874 by M. A. Schurupov

Dom 163  

Number 163: has the 'Rasputin' bar and restaurant on the first floor. The building also has 'Stoma' offices and dental surgeries located on the first floor. This plot is between number 169 on the left and 155 on the right.

Dom 164  

Number 164: is yet another mainly residential house with on the left of the first floor, an outlet for Roberto Bottecelli. They claim to be an international chain of quality designer shops for young men's shoes. Maybe when they get a web-site, they will begin to attract some business and acclaim in Russia.

Built 1881 - architect M. A. Andreev

Dom 166  

Number 166: has "elena miro" showing on the left of the first floor during 2008. This is a fashion house which caters for the 'large woman'. On the right can be seen the café-bar called "Lesnoy" (meaning 'forest') which is a popular venue on warm summer evenings. The building also houses the "Palitra National Center". Individual and group exhibitions of works by contemporary artists are held here every month at this gallery which is one of the best-known exhibition centers in St. Petersburg for painting, graphic art and sculpture. Open TUE-FRI 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., SAT noon to 6 p.m.

The building was erected in 1882 - architect A. A. Dokushevsky.

Dom 168  

Number 168: an ornate and impressive building designed with a more Eastern flavor than most in St. Peterburg. "Incanto" which is a rapidly expanding chain of women's underwear shops, have an outlet here. This is only one of several in the city and Incanto have stores in eight other Russian cities selling stylish garments to the 'New Russians' who have money to burn.

The original building was 1880 by architect A. Klimov, but then reconstructed in 1899 by V. R. Kurzanov.

Residential Dom 169  

Number 169: This is a wholly residential building set back from the street and erected during Soviet times. A small section of it appears to be used as a school.
During mid summer, it is almost impossible to get a clear view of this bland structure as it is well screened by the foliage of the trees. On the left is number 173 whilst the next building on the right is number 163.

Dom 170 on Old Nevsky  

Number 170 is one of two similar buildings that have copper domes as a showpiece on Old Nevsky.
Until 2007 there was a provisions store on the first floor called "Products", but this was replaced by the fashion outlet Giotto. Property rates tripling in less than 2 years have now forced all grocery stores off this street, despite the high number of residents.
This restored property is now the location for the 32 room Atrium Hotel and the Madam Grand beauty salon.

It was originally built in 1898 by architect P. Y. Suzor.

Dom 172 on Old (Stary)Nevsky
 

Number 172: corner cafe ‘U Sergeya’ (At Sergei’s), house. Their menu is cosmopolitan, service is friendly and the average bill is less than 200 rubles per head as we enter 2006.

Dom 173 on Old (Stary)Nevsky
 

Number 173, has yet another bank (Petro Bank), Xerox Center, and the Liberty Russia International Tourism Group, to name but a few businesses here.

A former resident here for 16 years until his death was Nikolay Vasilievich Pokrovsky (1848-1917), archaeologist and art historian, and Doctor of Church History. Upon graduating from St. Petersburg Theological Academy in 1874, he assumed a teaching post there (Professor since 1893); became an organiser and the first director (in 1879) of its Church Archaeological Museum. In 1898, Pokrovsky was appointed director of the Archaeological Institute. He wrote fundamental works on church history, Christian archaeology, Byzantine art history, and iconography.

Dom 174
 

Number 174, is known for being the home of 'Porto' a Maltese restaurant, although this is one of the largest apartment blocks on Old Nevsky.

It took six years to build this dwelling house between 1863 and 1869. The architect was G. I. Karpov.
At the beginning of the 20th century here was sited the Alexander Nevsky Home for the Poor.

Dom 175 the penultimate building on the south side of Old (Stary)Nevsky
 

Number 175, where a Sushi restaurant and a photographic store trade from this prominent site.

Dom 176 on Old (Stary)Nevsky
 

Number 176, hosts the California Grill & the very expensive Kolhida(Georgian) Restaurant.

Previously this was the Eparchial St. Isidor Theological School, which was closed along with all similar establishments in 1918. In recent times the territorial admin offices for the city's Central (Tsentralny) District became established here. Originally built in 1886 by G. I. Karpov it was reconstructed in 1899 by V. F. Kharlamov & A. Fuking.  

Nevsky's last building on the sunny south side.  

Number 177, The last building on this south side of the street, before Ploschad Alexandra Nevskogo.

This interesting example of early Classicism was built 1788 - 1790 by I. E. Starov

Building number 178 on Old Nevsky  

Number 178, the Sankt Peterburg Bank. Built in 1845 according to the Neo-Classicism designs of K. I. Brandt as a spiritual consistory, but reconstructed since.

Building number 180 on Old Nevsky  

Number 180, another mainly residential building, neat but unremarkable.

Like the next building at 182, it was constructed in the Eclecticism style during 1873 by architect G. Karpov.

Building number 182 on Old Nevsky  

Number 182, where there is the chain restaurant ‘Il Patio’, often with summer tables outside. In the basement, there is the cafe ‘Chesnochok’. Over its entrance there is a sign reassuring you with the honesty of the place. However the staff easily lose their manners which does not help this establishment become a popular venue.

After this apartment building was erected it soon became home to many theologians and people of Saint Peterburg's churches. Notable church historians such as Ivan Sawich Palmov, Vasily Vasilievich Bolotov and Alexander Pavlovich Lopukhin all lived at this address.

Dom 184, Nevsky Prospekt.  

Number 184, The last of the tall buildings on the north side of the street before Ploschad Alexsandra Nevskogo. (The adjacent smaller building on the right is No.190 - Russian logic!)

This building was built shortly after the end of WW II by architect Alexander Viktorovich Vasilyev in the spirit of Neoclassicism. In the years of the war, he worked as an official poster artist for propaganda.

Dom 190 at the end of Nevsky Prospekt.  

Number 190, is the ancient two story building now being dwarfed by the enormous roomy but gloomy Hotel Moscow which was built by the Soviets in the 1970's. The onlookers seen in this view are admiring the new monument to Alexander Nevsky which had just been unveiled off picture to the right . (Which can be seen on a separate page by clicking here.)

Like the building opposite, this fine old building was built during 1788-90 by architect I. E. Starov.

Dom Ugly, aka Hotel Moskva.  

Sometimes called Dom Ugly, the huge Hotel Moscow which fills one side of the square was opened in 1976.  It has 7 floors with 777 recently refurbished rooms and another floor of rooms is planned.

The festive New Year plinth seen here in January 1995 had been temporally abandoned on the spot where the new equestrian Alexander Nevsky monument has been sited since May 2002.

Dom not so Ugly, aka Hotel Moskva.  

Yes. This is the same building as in the previous photo, captured here in the gloom of November 2008. The hotel does not now look so gloomy from the outside, having had extensive cosmetic surgery and another floor added. Inside there have been improvements too, however the gloomy management were not keen for me to take any internal photographs.
The number of available rooms has grown to 825 and as of November 2008 this hotel is ranked 66 out of 180 St Petersburg hotels at www.tripadvisor.com - the average price for a double room is $180 per night and unsurprisingly they always have vacancies.

Dom not so Ugly, aka Hotel Moskva.  

The same location before the monster was born c1950

St. Alexander Nevsky Lavra  

Nevsky's Lavra. The northwestern tower (Riznica) of the St. Alexander Nevsky Lavra (Lavra = highest rank Monastery).
Architect: Pietro Trezzini, 1717-25
At the same time as the path for Nevsky Prospekt was being dug from the Admiralty end, monks from this monastery and their hired hands began constructing a route northwards and the two parts eventually met near to Znamenskaya Square (now Ploshchad Vosstaniya).

Church of the Annunciation at the Lavra  

Nevsky's Lavra 2. A closer view of the Petrine Baroque styled Church of the Annunciation at the Lavra.
This photograph was taken with a Mavica FD88 digital camera in January 2002 and the larger image is 800x600

Sign outside the Tikhvin cemetary  

Nevsky's Lavra 3. A sign for the tourists outside the entrance to the Tikhvin cemetery, which is on the right of the main path entering the monastery. This is quite an impressive role of current residents and note that Pushkin's wife is listed under the name of her second husband Lanskaya.
On the left of this sign is the smaller Lazarus cemetery which is the oldest in the city and contains the grave of Peter the Great's sister Natalya who was buried in 1716.

The Trinity Cathedral at the Alexander Nevsky Lavra  

Nevsky's Lavra 4. The Neoclassical Holy Trinity Cathedral (c1776-90, architect Ivan Starov) contrasts awkwardly with the elaborate Baroque treatment applied to the façades of the monastery's other buildings. The inside of this working church is well worth viewing and has murals painted by N. Akimov and other illustrious artists. Behind the cathedral is another cemetery containing the graves of twenty monks of the monastery who were martyred right there by the communists, shot in front of a wall, which still bears the many bullet holes.

The longest bridge in Spb  

The Alexander Nevsky Bridge (Most), was built between 1960 and 1965 to solve a major transport problem. Effectively, the bridge links the Alexander Nevsky square with Zanevsky Prospekt in the outlying Malaya Okhta district where these days, most of the city's residents live in bedroom communities. The bridge is the longest of 342 bridges inside the city limits with a length of 905.7 meters and it is 35 meters wide. The Bridge also boasts several innovations, including iron-and-concrete support shells, improved beam span support, and eight-sided columns for stronger bank abutment. The bridge's railings, lamps and other features are otherwise in a strictly functional, modern style. It is one of 22 drawbridges in the city and has seven bridge spans with the central span capable of being fully drawn in two minutes.


 
Links to other quality image sites in Spb;

Wandering Camera

CityScan by Cameraman

Last updated December 20th 2013

home

Copyright © 2000-2017

Email Contact : neilsky@nevsky-prospekt.com